TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

COVID safe lunches/snacks for work - February 26th 2021, 10:08 AM

I am looking for ideas that are easy to make and eat during COVID.

The story which is important:
I work with vulnerable people (elderly mostly) that may not have that much. I visit their homes and ensure they are doing well and clean there home. Sometimes they do not have soap or they do, however, I either don't use it or I do it depends on the situation. I mainly use hand sanitizer and gloves.

I have some ideas of lunch and snacks to bring, however, with not being able to always wash my hands (I am going to bring my own soap and towel with me) and COVID I am looking for easy, fast and efficient food/snacks. I'd like them to be healthy and energy filled.

I would be eating it while walking as I don't have time to sit and eat, sometimes, I would have some time to sit and eat but not always.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: COVID safe lunches/snacks for work - February 26th 2021, 08:32 PM

Eggs are highly versatile for various vitamins and are a source of low fat protein. Consider pre-wrapped wholegrain bread, packs of UHT milk and small bags of mixed-grain rice. Canned tuna is another as are tinned sardines in olive oil, not brine. A useful snack that has great taste is the milder flavoured bags of Indian snacks, such as Bombay Mix. Also jars of peanut butter as it is low in sugar (Ideal for diabetics), available as crunchy or smooth. Peanut butter is highly nutritional, high in protein and is a goods source of fiber.

It's close to my bedtime, but I'll be back at the weekend with more suggestions.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivičre Offline
Par la rivičre
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: COVID safe lunches/snacks for work - February 27th 2021, 12:24 PM

While at work we often have to deal with a lot of cleaning due to a great deal of sweaty people (mostly men) not cleaning down equipment properly. We do wear gloves etc but sometimes we don't always get time to sit down and eat a proper meal.

Normally when this happens I tend to go for something that can be unwrapped. Even if you haven't been able to wash your hands, you can still tear the outer packaging away and bite down into the food without contaminating it.

Golden syrup flapjacks are a great for me because they're mostly oats, so a slow-release carbohydrate, and the syrup is sweet and energy is released quickly. You could consider making your own or experimenting with other flavours like peanut butter, mixed fruit, and so on. Though it would depend on how much time you have to prepare them. You could bake them in batches so you have enough for the week. To cover them, you could wrap them in grease-proof paper or something similar where you can be able to move them out of the packaging without actually touching the contents with your hands.

Another can be small bite-size sandwiches using a baguette, or a miniature form of one. Due to the way they're shaped, it's much easier to get them out of the packaging without having to touch anything, and depending on how they're prepared, filling doesn't slip out and go everywhere unlike when using regular sliced bread.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42

Re: COVID safe lunches/snacks for work - February 28th 2021, 08:38 AM

I tend to go for food that can be unwrapped too. I hate it when I can't unwrap it due to if there is a lack of time for me to wash my hands.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: COVID safe lunches/snacks for work - February 28th 2021, 05:16 PM

I was going to say what Sarah said. I tend to go for things you can unwrap when I am on the go, like a granola bar. I unwrap it and eat it kind of like how you peel a banana. With that said you might be able to eat bananas too.

Another thing I was thinking are muffins, because you can sort of eat those without touching them. You can make your own if you want and put some healthy stuff in them.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Tommy

Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8

Re: COVID safe lunches/snacks for work - March 27th 2021, 04:07 PM

Bento boxes are very useful because food such as muffins, cereal bars (those granola?) can be placed into the Bento's sections prior to be handed out. Bananas are a must as are easy-peel oranges.

Healthy pre-packaged snacks, protein bars, salmon and avocado wraps, or sushi all sealed in cellophane and pots of yoghurt and/or hummus are simply great, not forgetting cellophane-wrapped plastic cutlery that can be disposed of after use.

Examples of Bento boxes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bento
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Allyson Wood Offline
Average Joe

Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10

Re: COVID safe lunches/snacks for work - May 13th 2021, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-1 View Post
Bento boxes are very useful because food such as muffins, cereal bars (those granola?) can be placed into the Bento's sections prior to be handed out. Bananas are a must as are easy-peel oranges.

Healthy pre-packaged snacks, protein bars, salmon and avocado wraps, or sushi all sealed in cellophane and pots of yoghurt and/or hummus are simply great, not forgetting cellophane-wrapped plastic cutlery that can be disposed of after use.

Examples of Bento boxes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bento
I love Bento boxes!
Closed Thread