TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death, Grieving and Coping With Loss Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
alansheferd Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,139, Level: 13 Points: 8,139, Level: 13 Points: 8,139, Level: 13

How do atheists deal with death/grieving? - January 5th 2011, 08:00 AM

Hi. In the past months I have come to the conclusion that I'm an atheist. I have never really dealt with to much with death in my life, nor am I dealing with it now. But, one of the questions I have for you fellow atheist's is how do you deal with death and grief? Believing in God and heaven is always a big comfort to those who have lost someone, and it is a nice thought, but I logically can't see it happening. So how do you (atheists, agnostics) deal with death without an afterlife.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 12,227, Level: 16 Points: 12,227, Level: 16 Points: 12,227, Level: 16

Re: How do atheists deal with death/grieving? - January 5th 2011, 09:32 AM

I don't feel that there is a common way that atheists deal with the death and surrounding grief of losing a loved one. We are all individuals and we all deal with it in our own ways.

Atheism is simply a disbelief in a god/gods. I would imagine that there are some people who don't believe in a god but do believe in an afterlife.

I personally have been an atheist and a disbeliever in an afterlife for a number of years, and have recently had to come to terms with the deaths of several people who were very close to me. On a side note, I found, at least in my circles, little support, and even acceptance for someone who is grieving the loss of important people in their life and do not believe in any afterlife, so I just had to grin and bear comments such as 'She's in a better place now' (no she isn't, she's lying in a box 6 feet under the mud -.-). The comments I've received from some believers have been incredibly hurtful, and make out that atheists are heartless creatures, incapable of love, compassion and joy. But anyway...

I deal with their deaths knowing that I did my best to love them. I know that I will hold on to the wonderful memories that I had with them. I will share stories and memories about them with the people who knew them also, and we will be able to remember how much we enjoyed their (statistically improbable) existence on this earth, coincidentally crossing paths with us to make our lives better.

Of course, dealing with any death or loss is hard, and it always will be regardless of what you believe in. Every individual person will cope with it differently, there is no one answer to your question.

My apologies if my ramble doesn't make much sense, it's late here.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

Closed Thread