TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
storiesnotlies Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,468, Level: 11 Points: 6,468, Level: 11 Points: 6,468, Level: 11

My mom's in the psych ward in jail and I'm being bullied because of it. - April 11th 2013, 11:28 PM

My mom was arrested a few months ago for second degree arson. She's in the psych ward at jail. I haven't seen her for over six months. She's always been sick from smoking and alcohol use, so I'm worried about her. To make matters worse, my older sister has refused to see or talk to her in months. I really need her, but of course she doesn't want to talk. I know she cares though. Once, when mom hadn't called me in over a month, my sister called her and screamed at her for not talking to me. it really tore me up when I heard, but I felt a little happy that my big sister was looking out for me. She doesn't help me against bullies though. I was sure that everyone thought that I was just a normal high school girl. I didn't tell but some people made a fake facebook account and said I was a drunken crazy whore just like my mom and to leave before I burned down the school. Please help me! I can't deal with all of this!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ally

Points: 8,278, Level: 13 Points: 8,278, Level: 13 Points: 8,278, Level: 13

Re: My mom's in the psych ward in jail and I'm being bullied because of it. - April 12th 2013, 03:36 AM

I'm sorry. Just try to ignore them; easier said than done, I realize. If it gets too far, tell an adult who has some power to do something about it, without embarrassing you further in the process. I'm sorry; I'd hug you if I could. I don't like bullying, not one bit. I hope someone defends you...tells them to leave you alone. I try to do that; maybe we should start a chain of bully-stopping. Ha.
God bless you. Hang in there (Again, easier said than done...).
- Collies R Us
PS: If it's cyberbullying, you may wanna consider deleting your social media accounts. You can survive it. Really.
PS: Don't let the bullies get to you! They're obviously just trying to fill some empty void in their life...

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: My mom's in the psych ward in jail and I'm being bullied because of it. - April 13th 2013, 12:30 AM

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about the bullying. You can report the account to Facebook, let the school know, and ask the local police department to track down the IP address in hopes they'll find out who made the account... but all of that can take a while, or the people simply may not have the time/resources/sympathy to look into the matter.

My boyfriend's father did some bad things. He didn't go to jail, but you can see what he did online. It's crazy, and my boyfriend has had to deal with that for years. What you have to remember is that you are not your mother. She gave birth to you and she raised you, but ultimately, you are not a mini-clone of your mother. You can make better choices, and if you surround yourself with good people, they will constantly affirm you. There will always be hateful people. It's not always easy to ignore them, but don't let their negative behavior cause you to ignore the good people in your life!

As for your sister... it sounds like she's hurt by all of this as well, and it may take a while before you and your sister can become close again. What would you say created the rift in the first place? Was it when your mom went to jail, or did something happen between you and your sister before that?

Wishing you, your mother, and your sister all the best. I imagine this must be very stressful for you, and I'm sorry you have to go through this situation right now.

Closed Thread