TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20

"My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 12th 2010, 07:30 PM

Why hasn't this teacher been fired yet?
http://www.kpho.com/news/25764910/detail.html
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 12th 2010, 07:45 PM

I can't believe some people have the nerve to say such horrible things and then call it "a joke". The teacher spoke as though that gave him legitimacy to wreck her life. Whatever he wants to call it, it's hurtful and it's not acceptable.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 12th 2010, 07:47 PM

That's sad, I had a similar situation in my high school with a world history teacher but he made fun of everyone in the class not just a certain person but it was all a joke no one ever felt hurt by it. I feel sorry for her she was smart in taking a recorder to prove her case.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 13th 2010, 08:26 AM

She said she wasn't sure who the bully was and was surprised it was the teacher. Assuming other verbal things were said (probably were since she brought a tape recorder), couldn't one identify the teacher's voice while in that teacher's class? That part is a bit odd.

As for what the teacher said, it probably started off as a laughing matter but the content isn't appropriate for a teacher to be saying. It's something you'd say to a friend if you and the friend joust back and forth like that, knowing it's a joke and taking it in good humour. But it's not appropriate and even if others knew it was a joke, this student didn't feel it was.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 13th 2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
She said she wasn't sure who the bully was and was surprised it was the teacher. Assuming other verbal things were said (probably were since she brought a tape recorder), couldn't one identify the teacher's voice while in that teacher's class? That part is a bit odd.

As for what the teacher said, it probably started off as a laughing matter but the content isn't appropriate for a teacher to be saying. It's something you'd say to a friend if you and the friend joust back and forth like that, knowing it's a joke and taking it in good humour. But it's not appropriate and even if others knew it was a joke, this student didn't feel it was.
I think you misunderstood what the beginning of the article was saying. It was saying that she is constantly picked on by the students so she brought a tape recorder to catch the student bullies on tape and was surprised when her teacher became on of the bullies that day.

What I don't understand is if she has it on tape what the school is waiting for. They've got what the teacher said on tape, he can't deny he said it, what's there to investigate?

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 13th 2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I think you misunderstood what the beginning of the article was saying. It was saying that she is constantly picked on by the students so she brought a tape recorder to catch the student bullies on tape and was surprised when her teacher became on of the bullies that day.

What I don't understand is if she has it on tape what the school is waiting for. They've got what the teacher said on tape, he can't deny he said it, what's there to investigate?
Oh OK, I thought the article was saying the teacher was doing the bullying to her before but she was surprised it was that teacher. Makes more sense now.

I agree, there's not a lot to investigate but perhaps the school wants to ensure other students haven't been bullied by the same teacher, if the teacher was joking in the past or some mindless thing.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 13th 2010, 11:24 PM

To be the technical Nazi here it is illegal to record someone without their consent unless they are on public property. But I just love to play devil's advocate.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 13th 2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
To be the technical Nazi here it is illegal to record someone without their consent unless they are on public property. But I just love to play devil's advocate.
Well it's a public school, therefore public property.

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 14th 2010, 12:13 AM

I'm probably going to be bashed for this, but I actually think this girl is overreacting. I have been picked on in the past, I have low self-esteem, but I can also take a joke. Teachers have joked with me like this before, and I know that they don't mean anything by it. The teacher was just trying to be funny. He wasn't trying to hurt her or "bully" her. If you watch the video and listen to the recording, this is evident. His voice just drips sarcasm.

I think removing her from the class was a bit extreme. From what I gathered, this is the teacher's first offense. I'm sure if she had simply spoken to him and let him know how this made her feel, he would have stopped. I don't see that she had any reason to report him to the school straightaway. This teacher had no malicious intent. I feel that kids in this day and age lead a much too sheltered life. People can hardly say or do anything without someone turning around and accusing them of something.

But that's just how I feel.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 14th 2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Well it's a public school, therefore public property.
Nope, a school is not included in this, anyway minors legally have to have their parents sign permission for their image/voice to be used for anything, so actually bringing that tape recorder into school is against the rules, along with using it in trial being well, pointless as the evidence is dismiss-able.

Space Flight Awards

(#11 (permalink)) Old
girl_pants Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lucy

Points: 10,928, Level: 15 Points: 10,928, Level: 15 Points: 10,928, Level: 15

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 14th 2010, 09:54 AM

When you join most schools or anywhere involving children. the parents are asked to sign a form stating whether the child can be filmed, pictured etc. well thats how it happens in Britain anyway.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 14th 2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Nope, a school is not included in this, anyway minors legally have to have their parents sign permission for their image/voice to be used for anything, so actually bringing that tape recorder into school is against the rules, along with using it in trial being well, pointless as the evidence is dismiss-able.
Curses, foiled again! You're a good Devils Advocate. However, I think they'll probably overlook it in this case.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 14th 2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Well first of all this isn't going to trial. Secondly I've never heard a rule against brining a tape recorder to school. I recorded things in school all of the time, and at college pretty much everyone does it. People record voice lessons, they record dance classes (video), the record lecture classes. I've never seen anyone being told they couldn't use it. And there are some kids in college that are still 17 for a little while.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me" - November 15th 2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Well first of all this isn't going to trial. Secondly I've never heard a rule against brining a tape recorder to school. I recorded things in school all of the time, and at college pretty much everyone does it. People record voice lessons, they record dance classes (video), the record lecture classes. I've never seen anyone being told they couldn't use it. And there are some kids in college that are still 17 for a little while.
It's one of those commonly ignored rules, but any lawyer worth his salt would bring that up in trial.

Space Flight Awards

Closed Thread