TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy1 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,735, Level: 12 Points: 7,735, Level: 12 Points: 7,735, Level: 12

I have no self-confidence that i can do the work properly at a job&struggling applying - August 13th 2013, 10:45 AM

Hi.
Im looking for jobs and im facing a psychological barrier because a big part of me just keeps saying to myself "you can't do that job","you will be terrible at it, be fired and embarrassed"," you can't do anything right and you won't succeed on that job or even the interview" and thoughts along those lines. I have been trying to ignore them, but it seems that is such a part of my mentality now, probably because i grew up with people telling me that i didn't do anything right(even if it was the first time i did it) and so im straggling with overcoming this lack of self confidence.

Don't get me wrong, my problem is not with working and i would gladly take a full time job(im looking more for full time) if it was something that instantly knew i could do and i have worked before in a store and at the end i really enjoyed it(although it was before my depression got worse), but im having trouble channeling those memories and experiences for the present because all i keep thinking is that i can't do what the job requires

Any advice or anyone in the same situation or that was in the same situation but was able to overcome it?

Everyday that passes i feel more like a loser because i struggle to just making the mindset to apply to work in some places and the fact that i haven't applied for as many places as i could have.

Sorry about the long post and thank you for you time.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20

Re: I have no self-confidence that i can do the work properly at a job&struggling applying - August 13th 2013, 01:46 PM

Sometimes, when starting a new job, we all have those emotional barriers. You just gotta take the challenge, and be confident in yourself. In order to learn something, we all make mistakes- it's part of the learning process. Being confident at a job comes through knowledge and experience, and you'll get there the longer you work. Besides, if you make mistakes at a job, just learn from them and try not to do the same thing again. Don't be afraid of this, it happens to everyone. Usually, in every job, before you start working, they provide you with training. Since you say you've worked at a store, usually store jobs are pretty alike in what employees do, so just think of all the things you learned from that job and use them in your new one to be a good employee. Well, I hope this was helpful. Good luck to you in your new job, and be confident in yourself!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

Closed Thread