TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

What are these college classes like? - April 25th 2014, 12:36 AM

I was looking through the general education requirements I got in the mail today for my college.

Since I'll be going to a Catholic school (only because it has a better education than my other option, I'm not religious AT ALL) I have to take two Religious Studies courses. What are those like if anyone has had to take them? I'm scared they'll talk about certain "sins" that I disagree with or something like that (ie homosexuality), so I want to know what they're actually like.

What's philosophy like?

We also have Common Foundations and/or Perspectives classes. I don't know how to pick them because I don't fully understand that part to be honest, but I'll ask questions on some of the things listed?

What is Quantitative Reasoning?

What is Kinesthetics? I looked it up online and it said something about noticing our movements or something and I was like "wat."

It says I can find the other Liberal Arts courses on the site but I don't feel like navigating their website right now so I may be back later with more classes. xD I figured I'd get explanations from people who don't overcomplicate definitions, ie you all!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11

Re: What are these college classes like? - April 25th 2014, 06:01 PM

With regards to Religion classes, I don't think they'll be as controversial as you think. I went to a Catholic high school, so I had to take some form of Religion in each of my four years at school. They didn't outright say things like "homosexuality is a sin", and promote other, common Catholic beliefs. However, it was more a reflection-based course, where you would read excerpts from the Bible, and perhaps, relate their teachings to your daily life. High school was quite a while ago for me, so I'm trying to remember in the best way that I can. Just know that it's okay to disagree with things that are said in class. In fact, a lot of people may challenge the beliefs of the Catholic Church - and that's to be expected. I'm sure you're not the only non-religious student attending the school, so keep that in mind as well.

Philosophy will really depend on the course that you're taking. I'll assume it's an Introduction to Philosophy course. I took a similar course in my first year of undergraduate studies. We mainly discussed various philosophers and their views on their respective studies. You'll likely focus on a few areas of philosophy: i.e., ethics, epistemology, ancient philosophy, logical reasoning, etc. Philosophy courses tend to be very writing-intensive, and as a result, you'll likely have to write a lot of essays; very opinionated essays. Philosophy classes want your perspective on everything. However, it'll largely depend on your specific course.

Quantitative Reasoning will likely be similar to a Math course. if you don't like Math, I'd probably avoid this class if you can. It's not pure Math, however. It's likely to be Math that has more of a practical application, as opposed to theoretical.

But, yeah. In order to truly find out more information, look at the course outlines. I know the ones for next year may not be available yet, but you can probably dig up the course outlines from last year. A quick Google search should be able to help you out. For example, if your Religion course is REL1000, and your university is Harvard University, for example, search something like:

" course outline REL1000 Harvard "

Good luck!

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.
Closed Thread