TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Finding time for school - April 20th 2014, 04:42 AM

A lot has been going on these last two months, and even before that things were difficult. I actually used to be on staff here but had to resign. In any case, I failed all of my classes last semester and am in danger of failing them all again this semester because I can't find time to do my work. I go to an online-ish school, it's a charter school. All of the coursework is online, but there is a building in town so we can go to school, and you must go once a week or contact your teachers via phone or e-mail at the very least once a week. But right now I'm dealing with my aunt having been in and out of the hospital, she's only now starting to improve but there's still a long way to go. She has multiple tubes coming out of her, one of which being a feeding tube because on her own she can't keep any food down, and will most likely have to take part in an experimental surgery to have a pacemaker for her digestive system because part of it is paralyzed. On top of taking care of her and her multiple things at home when she's out, she has a history of depression and we really do need to visit her pretty much everyday. To add even more to this all, we now have to move, and are being given next month free so long as we are out by then, if not we're going to have to pay $300 more a month for rent and get rid of our animals seeing as the new owner is upping rent and enforcing a no pets rule which we can't do either. I also just got a job to try to help with all of these things, and although it was supposed to be part-time, the hours have been full time. My laptop has also died, so I need a new one, until then I don't have as much access to school as I need and we do not have the gas money nor time to go to the building that often.

In short: My aunt has been in and out of the hospital for the last two months, my schooling is online, my computer is dead, I have no money for gas to get to the building or a new laptop, we are being forced to move by the end of May and still haven't found a place, and I have a new job that while helping with monetary situations, also takes away from time. And I would also like to be able to feel like somewhat of a normal teenager and not have to give up every minute of my life and have no social life whatsoever. Suggestions?

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
random.swirls Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meera

Points: 9,604, Level: 14 Points: 9,604, Level: 14 Points: 9,604, Level: 14

Re: Finding time for school - April 20th 2014, 03:42 PM

Hi Cheye,

I am really sorry to hear about your auntie. I can't imagine the stress you are going through. Maybe you can have a set time to visit your auntie in hospital and also a set time to do your school work. Also does your teachers know about your auntie. I think it would be a good idea to tell your teachers because they may be able to give you an extension for you work, so you have a better chance of not failing.

I am sorry to hear about that you have been forced to move out of the house by the end of May. Is there anyone who could help you and your family about the housing situation. Maybe if there are some council flats available your family could maybe write a letter to your local council explaining the situation.

As for the work , you should tell your manager that you asked for part time work but the hours have been full time work. If the hours are full time , are you only getting paid for part time, because it is not fair on you if you asked for part time work but are working full time and still getting the same amount of money you would for part time work.

You can always PM me anytime you want.

Love From Meera xx

"Never forget what you are,the rest of the world will not. Wear it like an armor and it can never be used to hurt you."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: Finding time for school - April 21st 2014, 07:18 PM

Hey Cheye, It sounds like you have a lot going on and that it's really taking a toll on you. Time management is something that A LOT of people struggle with and I know that school work is difficult when you have a sick family member because your mind is on other things. If you can get to a computer on a consistent basis, that sounds like it would solve a large portion of this. Maybe try the public library, or see if your school has laptops or computers that you can borrow? If not, on the days when you are able to go to the building, plan to do as much of your work as you can while you have access to a computer.

As for balancing work and school, if you only want part-time then talk to your manager and see if they can negotiate better hours for you. Set aside some of your free time for school before moving on to other social activities. I understand wanting a social life, but school should come first.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Re: Finding time for school - April 22nd 2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random.swirls View Post
Hi Cheye,

I am really sorry to hear about your auntie. I can't imagine the stress you are going through. Maybe you can have a set time to visit your auntie in hospital and also a set time to do your school work. Also does your teachers know about your auntie. I think it would be a good idea to tell your teachers because they may be able to give you an extension for you work, so you have a better chance of not failing.

I am sorry to hear about that you have been forced to move out of the house by the end of May. Is there anyone who could help you and your family about the housing situation. Maybe if there are some council flats available your family could maybe write a letter to your local council explaining the situation.

As for the work , you should tell your manager that you asked for part time work but the hours have been full time work. If the hours are full time , are you only getting paid for part time, because it is not fair on you if you asked for part time work but are working full time and still getting the same amount of money you would for part time work.

You can always PM me anytime you want.

Love From Meera xx
I have talked to my teachers about the situation and the thing with online schooling is you somewhat go at your own pace. You have to have the work all finished by a certain date, but you can take longer if you need especially if you tell them the situation or go ahead if you so wish, so that's not a big issue with it, I'm not failing because of turning things in late, rather the inability to turn them in.

In my town we don't really have housing options like that. We used to like a decade ago, but it's since been closed, and we don't really have friends to move in with, besides we have WAY too much stuff to be roommates with someone else.

I'm getting paid for the hours I put in because I work at pay per hour, so it is more money which I do need, almost moreso than anything else with everything going on on top of not having had much money before. And I can't ask for less hours because this company hired everyone on on a temporary basis, right now every employee is put down as temporary, after a trial period, some of those people will be hired on as part time permanent employees. If I were to ask for lesser hours now, I may risk my chances at continuing with this job which I really need and things are looking good for me right now because I show up on time, or if I can't have notified them in advance as well as being in the most trust-needed department and getting along with everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
Hey Cheye, It sounds like you have a lot going on and that it's really taking a toll on you. Time management is something that A LOT of people struggle with and I know that school work is difficult when you have a sick family member because your mind is on other things. If you can get to a computer on a consistent basis, that sounds like it would solve a large portion of this. Maybe try the public library, or see if your school has laptops or computers that you can borrow? If not, on the days when you are able to go to the building, plan to do as much of your work as you can while you have access to a computer.

As for balancing work and school, if you only want part-time then talk to your manager and see if they can negotiate better hours for you. Set aside some of your free time for school before moving on to other social activities. I understand wanting a social life, but school should come first.
I don't have the gas or time to go to the library that often, but my school is letting me get a loaner laptop and waiving the fee, but I still need to find time to get down there, although I may be able to do so tomorrow before work since hours are later tomorrow although still full time. And as I said above, I can't ask for fewer hours at work because of the whole trial basis thing. I know school should come before a social life, but I feel like I'm sort of being deprived of that, and as a teenager it's really important to me to have somewhat of a social life even if it's only some Facebook and Tumblr here and there.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Finding time for school - April 23rd 2014, 06:32 AM

I can't help with the social life aspect but can you ask for one day off like Tuesday and every Tuesday you do not work? Reserve that day for school work. Then reserve 30 minutes minimum for school work every day regardless of whether you are tired at the same time every day. I try to do that so that way I get my online school work done.
Closed Thread