TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Iloveliam Offline
One direction luv
Not a n00b

Name: Abbey

Points: 7,383, Level: 12 Points: 7,383, Level: 12 Points: 7,383, Level: 12

My dad and a school dance please help! - May 11th 2014, 01:28 AM

I'm a only child and my dad is a single parent I haven't seen my mom since I was little so talking to her or siblings is out of the question.... Any way there is the 8th grade semi formal dance next Friday and my dad wants to stay there with me but I don't want him to because that would be a problem because my boyfriend that my dad doesn't know about and can't know about because he's really strict he's that kind of dad who thinks I'm not allowed to even talk to guys let alone date. How do I get my dad to not go like how do I talk to him about it cus we aren't really close and don't talk much and he's really intimating and yells about everything. How do possibly bring this up that I don't want him going????
Also this is my first dance that he's letting me go to so that's probley why he's going overboard about it. Please answer ASAP I don't want to wait Until last minute even more then I already am.
Thanx,
Abigail
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Points: 12,776, Level: 16 Points: 12,776, Level: 16 Points: 12,776, Level: 16

Re: My dad and a school dance please help! - May 11th 2014, 09:47 AM

My dad would do the exactly the same thing if he could, if I were you I'd say that no parents are going and you'd feel too embarrassed to dance if he was there? That's quite a tough one actually..

You could just tell him straight that you'd prefer it if he didn't go and that there will be lots of teachers supervising?

You could ask your teacher to say something to him?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Points: 27,528, Level: 23 Points: 27,528, Level: 23 Points: 27,528, Level: 23

Re: My dad and a school dance please help! - May 11th 2014, 04:57 PM

The only thing you can do is speak to him about it. He probably won't not go unless there's a good reason for it. You should come clean about your boyfriend, too. I'm sure your dad will be very disappointed that you didn't tell him the truth. It sounds like you're probably under the age of 18, so in that case, dads rules are right. You need to follow his rules because you're still a child, and as much as they might suck, he's incharge. If you're honest and upfront about things with him, he may start treating you like an adult.

So all in all, talk to him about it. If you don't want him there, tell him. He needs to know that you're going to be safe, though, so maybe say that there are other adults/parents there instead (but don't lie about that).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Points: 7,145, Level: 12 Points: 7,145, Level: 12 Points: 7,145, Level: 12

Re: My dad and a school dance please help! - May 11th 2014, 06:57 PM

Sounds exactly like my dad! I would tell him about your boyfriend. He'll probably handle it better than you'd think. Just tell him that there's a guy who you hang out with a lot and were planning on meeting at the dance. If your dad says you can't go, point out that there'll be teachers there to supervise, and that you're responsible enough (and old enough) to spend a night at a school dance with a guy.

If for some reason you don't tell your dad about your boyfriend, just tell him there'll be a lot of teachers there. Also, ask him what he's worried about. If your dad is still going and he doesn't know about your boyfriend, warn your boyfriend before the dance that your dad's going to be there and he doesn't do well with you talking to guys. Hopefully he'll understand and just act like a friend for a night. Good luck!

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Iloveliam Offline
One direction luv
Not a n00b

Name: Abbey

Points: 7,383, Level: 12 Points: 7,383, Level: 12 Points: 7,383, Level: 12

Re: My dad and a school dance please help! - May 13th 2014, 09:55 PM

It's pretty hard to keep my dad out because he works at all the schools in the county (master electrician) so he's there a lot and is good friends with my princable and school deputy and school nurse and since he has a master key to the school I can't really keep him out of there to well. I already told my boyfriend(Liam) about how my dad might go and stay there. Liam said if I don't go then he's not gonna go. I can't just go there and say to my dad that we are just friends because my dad says the only guy I'm allowed to talk to is Joey who is my friend and the only reasons I can talk to him is because he's the nurses son and he does tae-kwon-do with me (we are both 2nd degree black belts) so our family's all know eachother and everything but even him I'm still not allowed to text or call or anything but anyways, if my dad goes then I won't go and since I'm
Moving 8 hours away this summer it's prob the last time I'll see a bunch of my friends besides at school for a while. I know I'm only 13 so I have to listen to my dad but sometimes I feel like his rules are way to stickt. He won't let me go anywhere with friends or have friends over or ever go on a roller coaster without him. We arnt very close at all so how do I bring this up??
Closed Thread