TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Leighd1144 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,937, Level: 11 Points: 5,937, Level: 11 Points: 5,937, Level: 11

Question After high school.. Afraid of being judged. - July 25th 2014, 05:46 PM

I'm in the tenth grade, or starting it. Basically, my whole family consists of people who never made anything of their life, job wise. They never really had careers. They all want me to be something important- like a social worker or a counselor or something. Which I would enjoy. BUT, the thing I really want to do, is... Beauty school. Sigh. I've always been good with hair and make-up, I cut my own hair (except for the back which I can't see). I do my brother and sister's cuts, too. My aunt, who is a beautician, always says that I do as good a job as her. Like my sister cut her hair- she's 3- and I fixed it. My mom took her to my aunt after I fixed it, and my aunt says, 'There isn't much to do, she did a great job hon.' She sent my mom off without touching it. And Wendy (the kid) had it all messed up. I love doing it. Not because it's easy but because it's.... Natural. For me. I've always kind of been artsy. I guess. I would like to eventually open my own shop. But like I said, the family... I dunno..
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: After high school.. Afraid of being judged. - July 25th 2014, 06:07 PM

You aren't the only one to ever face this problem. I think you should do what you love, Especially something like counseling. As a counselor-in-training, if your heart isn't really all the way into it, you won't enjoy it and it will show. People are going to have opinions, but they aren't going to live your life. The important thing with a career is that you enjoy what you're doing.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Points: 6,887, Level: 12 Points: 6,887, Level: 12 Points: 6,887, Level: 12

Re: After high school.. Afraid of being judged. - July 25th 2014, 06:51 PM

Hey there,

I think this is a really common issue for people to face. There are a lot of times in life that you will be faced with deciding between what you really want and what other people want you to do. But the most important thing is not to meet other people's expectations for you; it's to be happy with yourself and with your life. If going to beauty school is something that would make you happy then you should absolutely pursue it.

Sometimes our family members invent plans for us that we don't necessarily want to follow. But they only do this because they want us to be successful and happy. They might at first be upset with you for not following their plans, but once they see how happy you are following your own I think they'll be a lot more supportive. The only thing people who love you want most is to see you happy, and once you reach a point in your life where you are truly happy it won't matter to them so much how you found that happiness. It will just matter that you found it at all. Find your happiness in the way that you want to, and I'm sure you will gain your family's support along the way!

I hope this helped a little and I wish you the best of luck in becoming the person you want to be Take care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23

Re: After high school.. Afraid of being judged. - July 25th 2014, 11:38 PM

Hey there,

I think every parent hopes that their children are going to make something of themselves and do all of the things that they never managed to do, which I can understand but I think being happy is much more important. My parents tried to push me into more academic things I could handle, and it took some time but they accepted that that may not be where my talents lay.
I think you should speak with them and explore your options, I think it's important to please yourself and not others because you're the one who has to do that career for the rest of your life, not your family. Make sure whatever choice you make is the best for you, as you may never get the opportunity to go back to school/college and re-train.

Best of luck,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words
Closed Thread