TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 20th 2014, 12:27 PM

When I was a kid / teenager I wanted to be a vet. This dramatically changed when I got to university because I like the humanities so much (sociology, religion, political science, history and even economics to a certain extent) so I decided that maybe being a vet wasn't the right thing. I turned my sights on careers that would help people - policing, social work, and international relations.... Then I dramatically changed my mind again to do marketing, PR or advertising, which is what I am doing now. I settled here because I can still work for the same places, still make a difference and in a position that's better for my skills.

Did anyone else change their minds a lot like this?

Do you ever worry that you'll get bored of your latest choice and be "stuck" or something?

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Points: 10,960, Level: 15 Points: 10,960, Level: 15 Points: 10,960, Level: 15

Re: Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 20th 2014, 04:57 PM

Jupp. I changed my mind a lot. When I was a kid I wanted to be a teacher or author. Then I wanted to go to the police. Once we had physics I was aiming to study this until about 11th grade. Then I wanted to study literatur ans psychologie as it would be the most usefull as author. Then my head got the better of me and I searched for something 'more usefull and reasonable. Nearly became a teacher and in a last minute decision decided to become an engineer as its the most reasonable choice considering my skills and chances in the futur.
So thats what I'm doing now. Studying electrical engineering.

And no I'm not afraid of feeling stuck. I already am cause honestly, electrical engineering is ok but I can't imagine myself doing this for the rest of my life. I can't even imagine doing it for the next 5 years and the problem is that I am bound. I signed a contract and won't be able to get out of it for the next 6 years. So I am stuck and I hate it and the only reason is that I tried to be reasonable with my choice....
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 20th 2014, 08:21 PM

Hey there,

I think it’s normal to change your mind about careers during university. I know my experience is not the same as yours, but thought I would share anyway.

I (still) want to be a teacher and did an education degree, but the psychology module really opened my eyes to the world of psychology and I did another module on learning difficulties, so I have also considered being a teacher for those with learning difficulties. When I was younger, I did want to be a vet for ages, but I knew I just wouldn’t be able to handle it.

However, my friend who was on the same course as me, never wanted to be a teacher. She didn’t really know what to do with her life. She wanted to take a history course, but she now works with young children in a pre-school environment. But I think her real passion is with cooking and baking.

Neither me nor my friend, are afraid of getting ‘stuck’ with our choices. I think that, whatever you choose, even if you decide against it later on, there are ways of going down a different career path. My old maths teacher actually helped design bridges before he had even considered being a teacher!

All the best!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20

Re: Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 20th 2014, 08:46 PM

Yeup. I changed my mind from psychology half way through my associate's degree to an education degree, then it was special education, now it's behavioral health and human services (almost like social work). It's normal to change your mind. It's okay to get multiple degrees if you wanted to, too. Like for me, I kind of want to get a degree in youth work/childhood studies so that I can continue working at the preschool I work at. But I also want to do social work of some sort. Confusing.

You're not alone in this.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 21st 2014, 07:57 AM

I did and I think it is very common. I went from pilot to military to psychologist to RN.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 21st 2014, 08:11 PM

In high school I wanted to be a writer. Then I thought I wanted to be a counselor or therapist. And now I'm going into public health.

something burning?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Magmagan Offline
Furry Metalhead
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Points: 5,915, Level: 11 Points: 5,915, Level: 11 Points: 5,915, Level: 11

Re: Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 22nd 2014, 08:56 PM

I had a friend that wanted to do International Relations

In lack of students, the course wasn't available, and he went to Mechanical Engineering

And, after his first class, already in Administration

He's a fun friend

Straight / Atheist / Metalhead / Right-wing / Aspie

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 23rd 2014, 09:58 PM

I used to be religious several years ago and intended on becoming a Pastor. My major was geared toward Biblical Studies and Biblical Counseling, and eventually a Masters in Theology. Since then, I've become an atheist, and currently deist (I say that intellectually I am a atheist, while based on intuition I am a deist -- I can't shake those intuitive feelings from the picture).

Anyways, I am now attending UT-Austin double majoring in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14

Re: Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 25th 2014, 09:46 AM

I started off in an engineering degree, finished with an arts degree majoring in communications studies five years later. Then I became a teacher. End of this year I'll be graduating again and qualified as a guidance counsellor.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 25th 2014, 10:54 PM

I have.

I never studied to be a vet, but I wanted to be one. Then I realized I'd have to see the sick and injured animals, among other things. I knew I couldn't handle that.

But I have studied early childhood education and communications (separate times). Now I'm working as a social media coordinator, which is somewhat what I was studying for last (this spring) because I wanted to work in that field.

It's normal to change your mind about what you want to do with your life.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Did anyone else dramatically change careers while in university or college? - September 26th 2014, 02:53 AM

Wow, I can't believe how many people change their minds!

My biggest concern is my tendency to get very very bored very very easily... It's so horrible. So while I am interested in something it's great, but I could wake up in January and be like "fuck, this sucks"... So I am hoping my interest in communications won't fizzle

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread