TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Question Struggling to keep on task at college - January 22nd 2015, 07:13 PM

Hi guys

I suffer with Dyslexia and it's really effecting my work rate. When ever I'm in class we have teaching assistant walking around the class helping people who need extra support. I struggle with the work even when the Teaching assistant is trying to help me. He often says to me Justin I'm very worried about you. He says this because some of the work is something a 3 year old called do he reckons anyway. The problem is that when he goes off to help other people in the class i just sit there with no motivation what so ever. I often just sit there and look at other people do their work. I just never do anything I go in day dreams and just sit there. The teaching assistant is getting extremely annoyed by the fact that he has to sit by by me all day to me to do the work. This only ever happens at college it did happen previously at school when I was at going to school. My mum says that when I was younger I kept fainting for long periods of time and the oxygen was not getting to my brain properly. This is new to me but I do remember fainting once at primary school when I was about younger. It hasn't happened since I was a round 5 or 6 I'm now 18. Im really struggling and i don't want it to effect me when I start work. How can I stop myself from just stopping my work from the teaching assistant leaves? I really can't explain it. I sort of just sit there and don't bother trying. I don't know if its laziness or if it's just that I can't do the work because its to hard or what. What should can I do? Has anyone else had a similar problem to this? Im very dedicated to getting things done when it's not college work. I typed this thread with out losing motivation I know I can do it.

Thanks for reading my thread.

Take care of yourself ~Justin~
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Struggling to keep on task at college - January 30th 2015, 07:25 PM

Hi Justin,

I am so sorry I have not replied to this. I thought I responded to your thread but I see that I have not.
Does your school have resources for students with disabilities? Maybe you can speak with someone about getting alterations to your learning that will help with dyslexia such as reformatting of information so it is easier to read Etc.
Also, I know some schools are using iPads nowadays, if your school allows you to use an iPad, you can download apps such as Voice Dream Reader and Writer. These two apps were built for people with visual impairments and dyslexia to help with writing and reading. If your school cannot provide you with an iPad or another apple device and you own one, you can purchase the app or apps yourself.
This link may be helpful:
Descriptions of what students with dyslexia face with ideas for accommodations
Hope this helps and keep us updated!

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
Closed Thread