TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gwynbleidd Offline
Seeking Zireael
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Points: 7,115, Level: 12 Points: 7,115, Level: 12 Points: 7,115, Level: 12

Would this be a good idea for college - January 9th 2015, 02:20 AM

Hello I have 4 years till college and I was wondering if It would be a good Idea to take my computer to college or not? I know this is a far way off but I'd rather have this solved as soon as possible. Any advice is appreciated.

Tell me a lie in a beautiful way,
I believe in answers, just not today

"Càed'mil, bloede dh'oine... Hocus-pocus... Abracadabra...Arse blathanna..."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 9th 2015, 03:09 AM

Do you mean to class, or living in a dorm?

Living in a dorm I think it is important to have your own computer if you can. A lot of colleges have their own computer labs (you may want to check in on this), but then you run the risk of them being full up or closing at a certain time, whereas with your own computer you can get work done whenever. Plus, if you have free time and want to browse online, you can do that too.

As far as classes, some professors let students use them in class and some don't. You might want to check the syllabus or ask the professor of each class about what their policies on computers are. Some are fine with students taking notes on the computer, or sometimes even have lessons in which you are permitted to use a laptop, and others don't like that.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 9th 2015, 03:48 PM

As a college student myself, I think its a good idea to have your own personal computer with you on campus. I don't know about your college but in my college, the computer labs tend to get pretty full, especially if there's a big project due and people are printing things, using certain softwares, etc.

If you are worried about your computer getting stolen or something, you could always report it to someone(possibly the authorites and they can track it down). Also like Dez said, some college classes require you to bring a computer. For those, check the syllabus. Hope this helps!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 9th 2015, 07:57 PM

I just want to add on a few things.

Firstly I'll add on to what Rishy said about your laptop being lost or stolen. First of all, if you live on campus and want to leave your laptop in your dorm when you leave the room you can, just make sure you lock the door when you leave, because then only your roommate(s) will have access to the room. When out and about on campus, take your laptop with you whenever you go, even if you're only gone for a moment. That way, you won't risk it getting stolen. Or, if you have a friend you TRUST who is with you, you can ask them to watch it for you. Make sure they are trustworthy though.

Another thing with the computer labs being full up. We have multiple computer labs in my school, but the one I like best will be closed this semester because of construction in the building. I don't know what type of strain this may put on the other computer areas. It's good to have a laptop or your own computer in case something similar happens to you.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Points: 18,058, Level: 19 Points: 18,058, Level: 19 Points: 18,058, Level: 19

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 9th 2015, 07:58 PM

I'm going to college and taking ICT classes, my best bet is to get a laptop case and carry the laptop around with you if you don't use it.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
O'Nell Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nell

Points: 5,385, Level: 10 Points: 5,385, Level: 10 Points: 5,385, Level: 10

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 19th 2015, 08:00 AM

I recommend to take laptop with you, not PC. It's much more comfortable thing. Many modern laptops are very powerful comparing with PC, so I think you won't have any problems with software installation.

Chief editor on Top-Writers-Reviews.com
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 20th 2015, 10:14 PM

I highly recommend that you take a laptop with you to college. Having your own laptop is extremely useful and helpful and saves you a lot of time since usually the computers on campus are more than half of the time extremely busy.

Member Since 1/15/2012
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 22nd 2015, 06:27 PM

Is it a desktop? If you're in a dorm, most dorms are small. I would consider getting a small notebook computer to take to class. Although most tablets and a Bluetooth keyboard can take notes as well as a notebook computer now a days. In fact, my school provided me with a free subscription to Office and I downloaded it on my ipad.

If you get a laptop, buy a laptop lock.

Also, in my freshman year we could pop open locks with bobby pins. Think about that.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 23rd 2015, 04:49 AM

You need a computer of some type. Some of my residents have desktops, but most people in college have a laptop. I have a Chromebook, which is kind of a laptop, and it works well enough for most tasks.

something burning?
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 23rd 2015, 05:11 AM

You will not survive college without a laptop. Consider that a bonified guarantee, because even regular classes have tons of online features that need to be used to pass.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 24th 2015, 01:48 PM

I've been in university for 5 years and am currently doing year 6 at a college. Let me just say that I would not have survived without a computer. You spend so much time preparing assignments, doing research, emailing people etc. that you have to have a computer - I am probably on a computer for minimum 6 hours a day, other days I am on my computer for probably closer to 12 hours. And no I am not that obsessed with social media - it's because school does that to me. If you relied on computers in a campus computer lab you'd never go home, you'd literally be there to sleep and maybe not even then.

You have to have a computer.

A lap top is more ideal because then you can bring it to class and when you're doing group work.

It won't get stolen - that could just as easily happen to your phone, iPod, car etc. So yes, shit happens, but if you are mart and keep your door locked, and keep an eye on your stuff in public you'll most likely be fine.

Any reason to not bring it cannot even begin to compete with the reasons that you absolutely 100% do need it. This is the 21st century, it's not optional any more.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Ariel287 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,204, Level: 10 Points: 5,204, Level: 10 Points: 5,204, Level: 10

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 26th 2015, 08:37 AM

I'd recommend you to get your own laptop. In this case you won't depend on computer lab schedule or if they turn to be full. Also, everyone needs privacy.
In college, believe me, you'll need to work with your laptop (writing essays, assignments, using email) in the evening or at night. I usually do my homework at night cuz my brain works better at night.
If you're afraid that it could be stolen put your laptop on some shelf or any other closed place (don't leave it on the table) and just make sure you've locked your door. Or you can carry it with you.

read my reviews on essaywolves.com
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Lesley_J Offline
Wanderer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lesley Vos

Points: 5,490, Level: 10 Points: 5,490, Level: 10 Points: 5,490, Level: 10

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 26th 2015, 09:57 AM

I think it's more than ok to have your personal computer in campus. There is nothing wrong here, as we can't imagine the process of study without technologies and the Internet today. Even if there are some computer labs in your campus, it would be more comfortable to haveyour own comp. Plus, as it has been already said here, it would be a good idea to think about a laptop, as it needs less place to keep in a room, and you will be able to take it with you everywhere - to make notes during lectures, etc.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount75

Edit avatar

Re: Would this be a good idea for college - January 31st 2015, 12:58 AM

Yeah, I used to take my laptop to college all the time, especially if your going to take courses like computer programming.
Closed Thread