TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Work - November 15th 2015, 01:58 PM

So I am a singer/songwriter and I have a problem with working too hard. I literally just found out that part of my depression came from feeling guilty for not improving in my music career. I'm now trying to find a balance so I'm not always overdoing it. I don't at all want to be lazy or stubborn but I can't work too hard either.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get that balance between the two? I try to do about 3.5 hrs. A day after school but sometimes that gets in the of homework. Any schedule ideas for it?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Work - November 15th 2015, 08:35 PM

Hey, Cheyenne.

Well done for recognizing the fact that you are working yourself too hard, then trying to find ways to find a balance.

I am glad you are so committed. I do believe you'll be successful if you keep up your dedication and passion for singing and songwriting. It is evident you are hardworking and that's a good quality especially when you are aiming for a particular career path, but it is important not to get so immersed that it gets in the way of your homework and mental health.

Taking a bit of time away from your normal schedule doesn't make you lazy. You may need to cut back on the amount of time you spend working so that you are able to do your homework as well. You could plan different schedules and try doing things at different times until you find a balance that works best for you. How about setting rules for yourself? When you get home, tell yourself you'll finish the homework you need to do for the day before you work on your songwriting. This way you'll have important schoolwork done so you won't feel rushed while working on songwriting.

Don't forget to find ways to reward yourself for the work you do well. That goes for both singing/songwriting and homework. Enjoying a nice snack or something other you enjoy is definitely a well-deserved treat after your hard work. Plus, you already seem to be working yourself pretty hard so taking a step back to unwind could be a much-needed break for you! Always remind yourself that setting priorities is important, school is important and so are you. So don't give up on any of those things, just adjust a schedule until you find one that fits all of those things in without being so stressful. Also remember that what you are working on will take time, effort and patience. You don't have to see improvements overnight, just keep working at it little by little and I imagine the improvements will come to you.

Hope this helped some. I hope you find a balance that works for you. Don't give up on your dreams, you can do this! Stay strong.
Closed Thread