TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
zop Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,998, Level: 9 Points: 3,998, Level: 9 Points: 3,998, Level: 9

Not being supported for college - September 13th 2016, 07:04 PM

I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong category, this is the one I thought would fit best although it involves drugs and mental health.

To start things off, I am a 18 year old Male who just moved with his family to Albany New York.

About one year ago, I was hospitalized and diagnosed with a mild case of schizophrenia, to which I am HEAVILY medicated for. Among the all the medications I take to keep the voices out, I take one that suppresses my appetite to the point that if I did not force myself to eat, I would probably starve to death. My physc had me try a few meds to counteract this side effect but none worked so he suggested medical marijuana. This was before the move, so I was 17 living in Las Angeles California. Being in California, Cannabis is widely used amongst many people for many different medical conditions. It is even legal to use as a medication for individuals underage if the parents approve it. My parents did and I started taking THC pills an hour and a half before meals. It worked and I could finally enjoy food again.
Fast forward about 8 months to the begging of summer, my dad gets a job offering on the east coast. Well I no choose but to say goodbye to the beautiful California sun an move to up-state new York. I met with a new phsyc, and we told him about my medical marijuana use in California. Now, marijuana laws on the east coast are VERY different to those in cali and Colorado. Of course the doc went in depth into how pot is evil and how my mind is already fucked up from 8 months of use. school has started and I have no option but to choke down 1/2 of a meal every day. I am losing weight FAST! In desperation, I purchased some pot from a new made friend and smoked a little before bed. My parents caught me and are very upset. This is problem number one.
Problem number 2 stems from problem number one. My plan after I graduate this year, is to move to California for college. I have always been a good student, i have probably had a GPA of about 3.2-3.5 since middle school. I am taking my sat in a couple weeks and I have already started studdying. Today my parents dropped the bomb on me that they will not pay for me to go away for college tuition because they think that I will smoke weed and fail of school. They expect me to go to a community college for two years or to go to a 4 year school nearby to which they will drug test me every week and if I refuse or fail the test, they wont pay for school. Oh, and did i mention that if I dare smoke weed again, I am kick out of the house for good.I am outraged by this. My parents already will not allow me to hang out with any of my new friends or go to any parties (I don't drink) because they are scared I might smoke the evil marijuana and now they are keeping me from going to college. The most ridiculous part about this is that my older brother, who is in his 3rd year of college, takes ecstacy and tripps acid on a WEEKLY basis. My parents know about this and they still pay for his tuition. They say they do this because he has a job and is paying for his other expenses, which is fair. I am 18 now and I feel like I'm treated as a 14 year old. I just started school in a town I am brand new to, and I can't hangout with any potential friends.

TL;DR My parents won't pay for college and I have dropping weight extremely fast.

Thanks for reading, any and all advice welcome.

Last edited by zop; September 13th 2016 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling errors and additional info
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Not being supported for college - September 13th 2016, 07:26 PM

Im sorry to hear this. But i think they are right in not letting you smoke weed. As for aplitite goes have you tried topamax? It is supposed to increase allietite. Maybe you should try that instead. There are probably a lot of different meds you can try. Or you could go off the one that suppresses your appitite. I know financial aid is a choice if you really want to go to school in califonia. But the problem might be that they take away your medical insurance.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I've been here a while

Name: Lauren

Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22

Re: Not being supported for college - September 14th 2016, 01:42 AM

Hi there,

This definitely sounds like a difficult situation to be in. I'm not going to get into my opinions on the use of marijuana because I honestly do not know enough about the uses of it, side effects and things like that. I do however somewhat understand where your parents are coming from. They are willing to pay for some of your college, house you, and take up a lot of expenses. I understand them wanting you to stay away from a drug that is illegal for use where you currently reside. I know that might not sound fair, but that is at least my view point on the subject.

I'm not saying that what they're doing is benefiting you and that it doesn't suck that you cannot use a medication that you were prescribed that was helping you. It is illegal where you are, and you were not prescribed the marijuana that you were smoking. The best advice I can give is you need to seek other options, or another doctor if you do not agree with their viewpoints. As you said you are 18 and that gives you a little more freedom. You can choose to seek out a doctor based on the fact that if you have the money to do so. Especially since you are losing weight and it's affecting your weight overall. I know sometimes you can find free clinics, but I wouldn't get your hopes up of being prescribed medical marijuana if it is illegal there. But you can certainly try something else. It is always worth looking into and trying.

You mentioned your brother and while I can see how it is unfair you pointed out why your parents continue paying for it. I know finding a job that can sustain other expenses is difficult, but is that something you've thought of looking into? Again it is something to try and of course it is up to you and it might be difficult, but you can at least look into it.

Good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."
Closed Thread