TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
roseegirl Offline
Wanderlust girl
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ravioli

Points: 5,147, Level: 10 Points: 5,147, Level: 10 Points: 5,147, Level: 10

college major - January 13th 2017, 06:01 AM

Have you ever felt that none supports your major and everyone want to criticized that you want to be teacher and do something good for society? Instead their first question is asking is that not good job because you wont be pain very much.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: college major - January 13th 2017, 06:22 AM

Hey Megan,
First off I want to say that is great that you want to be a teacher. I wanted to be a teacher but change my mind. I have had people tell me that I can't handle the schooling it takes to become a therapist. So I know how it is.

I feel it doesn't matter what other people opinions are. What really matters is that you enjoy it and want it. To me a career isn't about the money it's about the joy, and accomplishments you feel when you are in the job.

I know it's hard to not let others opinions get to you. And not let the comments get to you. I let people get to me all the time. But something I get told is it doesn't matter what matters is you and what you think. So if you enjoy being a teacher that is all that matters.

If you need anymore advice or just want to talk you can PM/VM me anytime

Your Friend,
Frankie
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: college major - January 13th 2017, 10:51 AM

Hey there,

I think it's lovely that you want to be a teacher- so do I! I didn't get criticised but one of my friends did as people thought she was 'too quiet' to be a teacher. In your case though it sounds like you want to help people, whereas the people criticising you may think that making money matters more than helping others. It's just a difference of opinion.

If you want to be a teacher, don't let others stop you from pursuing your dream! And as Frankie said, it doesn't matter what others think or say, all that matters is that you are happy and enjoy what you do

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: college major - January 13th 2017, 11:05 AM

I graduated with a degree in Early Childhood Education (age 3-grade 3) and I had to deal with that for 5 years. Good teachers don't teach for the money, they do it because they love it. Honestly, the criticism doesn't stop after graduation either. There's just a lot of people who value money more than other things, but it's okay to pick a career with less money because you love it.

If you haven't seen it already, this is one of my favorite poems about teachers. It's by Taylor Mali, I'm linking a censored version mostly because it has the words on the screen so I like it best. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuBmSbiVXo0

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Re: college major - January 13th 2017, 09:46 PM

I wanted to be a social worker for a long time and a teacher at one point too. I mean I still love both among many other career ideas but social work was the one I was given most discouragement. Even teachers in training told me to stay away from social work. The thing is, those people are on the outside and haven't been in social work. Maybe their uncle's girlfriend's sister was a social worker but they themselves were not. So then I took a social work course in college and it was taught by a social worker and professor and she gave some good insight about what to consider, pros and done, finding the right fit for a career etc. But even then, while she helped a lot, she still cannot determine what's right for me personally. So only you can know if being a teacher is the thing you want to pursue. I worked at a daycare and got a lot of blame and critisism (a lot of it was misplaced blame actually and a somewhat manipulative boss) and I was lead to believe I can't do it. I quit in the end but I'm thinking of trying again with working with kids because I am willing to work hard band improve my skills. That's how much I love working with kids. So even if someone is "too quiet" or any criticism, they can work on it. It isn't the end of a career because of that.
In fact, many of my teachers, usually math and science ones, were once failing in those subjects and they got to flip that around and teach the subject they struggled with.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15

Re: college major - January 17th 2017, 01:19 AM

Hey there!

As someone else who is planning on going into education, let me just commend you because we need more people who want to work in education! If it is what you're passionate about, don't let other people dissuade you from pursuing your dreams.

I was a social work major for a long time and I'm graduating with a degree in rehabilitation and counselor education, a lot of people tried to talk me out of it because the jobs in this field don't pay well, but like you I wanted to pursue something that I felt was meaningful and would make a difference in other's lives. I'm actually going to be pursuing a master's in education and like has been said here, even once you graduate unfortunately the haters won't stop. Just remember at the end of the day, it is your life to live and if you are doing what makes you happy that should be what matters most! There /will/ be people who support you as well, and want you to succeed in this field!

Best of luck and don't stop chasing your dreams!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
roseegirl Offline
Wanderlust girl
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ravioli

Points: 5,147, Level: 10 Points: 5,147, Level: 10 Points: 5,147, Level: 10

Re: college major - January 17th 2017, 03:08 AM

Thank you for all your advice everyone! It just get harder and harder when you feel like your whole family is against you. I am about at the point that I just want to give up and cry.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: college major - January 17th 2017, 03:48 AM

I don't think you should let anyone criticize you because of what your dreams and ambitions are! Having your family against you does seem like the toughest thing in the world, because they're the people closest to us, but maybe you can try to show and prove to them you can do this. Show them they're wrong and you're right. You've got this!
Closed Thread