TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Customers at work make me feel worse - April 30th 2017, 04:16 PM

Does anyone else in retail find that customers who moan or cause agrovation make my depression and other mental illness worse. People are so rude and it just makes me want to claw my eyes out in my head I'm like excuses me I'm not very well can you stop taking your frustration out on me please. My colleagues are the same they are just so rude and frustrating sometimes does anyone else find that other people just don't care about what your going through?

Does anyone else work in a retail environment with mental health problems experience the same problems as myself or am I just being silly.

Last edited by .Brittany.; May 1st 2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Moving to Mental Health
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Customers at work make me feel worse - April 30th 2017, 06:45 PM

Hello Justin...... I do think that what you need to do is to rant it out to someone.. I've tried keeping my frustrations to myself and its just resulted in my situation turning for the worse...

Just saying that if you want someone to rant to, I'm here.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Customers at work make me feel worse - May 1st 2017, 04:24 AM

Hi Justin,

I'm sorry you're still going through such a tough time with work. Are you able to look into other employment, or consider going into inpatient to see if they can get you on a stable routine to help you cope?

I also am moving this to mental health as I feel it fits better there.

Stay Strong,
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Points: 14,414, Level: 17 Points: 14,414, Level: 17 Points: 14,414, Level: 17

Re: Customers at work make me feel worse - May 1st 2017, 04:55 AM

I've never worked in retail but I know plenty of people who do, and I've heard stories of people who do. From what I've heard, they've also had bad experiences with customers and coworkers while being mentally ill. Usually what they do is find different jobs that aren't so emotionally straining or further their education and focus on that. Maybe try to change your job if you can?

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Re: Customers at work make me feel worse - May 1st 2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Brittany. View Post
Hi Justin,

I'm sorry you're still going through such a tough time with work. Are you able to look into other employment, or consider going into inpatient to see if they can get you on a stable routine to help you cope?

I also am moving this to mental health as I feel it fits better there.

Stay Strong,
Brittany
I posted the thread here because I feel it fit better because I am referring to my depression.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11

Re: Customers at work make me feel worse - May 1st 2017, 07:57 AM

I understand that psychologists, counselors, and psychiatrists, all have their own support groups and counselors they go to in order to keep themselves sane. Makes sense since they listen to depressed people all day long whine bitch and complain.

For me I do a lot of self care. I go to several support groups. I have a counselor. And I go to meditation groups, and do meditation at home. I've found meditation helps shift my brain towards a more calm state that can better tollerate turmoil.

I've also learned when people need to vent or tell a story or explain a situtation that bothers them, I don't need to fix their problem, I just need to actively listen to them telling me their problem, and it is the listening itself that is the fix. I know I'm helping them by listening to them, because I've experienced it myself where I once told someone my impossible to fix problem, and they listened, and afterwards I felt better, which didn't make any sense, because nothing was fixed, but I felt better, which I thought was very odd, but I've always remembered that, and I've done it for others ever since.

I also need to be aware of my triggers, what topics are triggers for me, or what things can trigger me, so I can be aware of those, and either stay away from those, or at least be aware of them so if they do happen, I can then take a time out, and have a plan of how to get myself untriggered, get those thoughts out of my head, get myself back to normal.

Yea I'm just one endless work in progress!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Customers at work make me feel worse - May 1st 2017, 10:54 PM

I've had several jobs, some retail/customer service/waitressing typed stuff and some not. Honestly, I despised every last retail typed job I've ever had. I was happier when I was unemployed for months and months. I was definitely happy in jobs where I was put dealing with abusive customers and coworkers. I was so miserable when I was working in retail last year. Even though I don't love my current job 100% of the time at least it's not sucking the life out of me. So yeah I can relate.

The best solution would just be to get a less toxic job. For all you know, a different place will attract a less toxic clientele, or maybe you can do something that isn't customer facing.

Honestly, these kinds of jobs can just suck, I think it's why so many of the older people there are so nasty and miserable to deal with. Just try to do things outside of work so your job isn't the main focus in your life and hopefully it help your mood. Also set goals for your mine besides just making ends meet so you can feel better about what you're doing.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread