TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KatlynMae Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katlyn

Points: 3,819, Level: 9 Points: 3,819, Level: 9 Points: 3,819, Level: 9

Question College choices? - July 15th 2017, 04:18 PM

Hi, I'm a student from Asia and I'm currently undergoing the dilemma of 'which school should I choose?'
As a student from one of the best high schools in my country, I was expected to continue studying medicine, law, or in my case, computer science.
I come from a really academic family, my father is a professor at a university and my mother is a middle school teacher. And I was sure I was going to be a scientist like my dad when I was ten. Maths and Science had always been easy for me, and they all say this career path is infinitely more promising than whatever I intend to do with my art degree.
Though I do have some interest and talent in computer science(programming, software development...etc.), I know my true passion is in film and theatre. My dream is to study film at University of arts London but their tuition costs about six years of my family's entire income.
My parents, unlike most Asian parents, were really supportive of my choice. They said they'd sell the house if going to Britain means so much to me but I can't let them do that.
I've done tons of research for scholarships and loans I could get but alas, no a lot of people in my country support art students(they're actually pretty widely discriminated). I know if it came down to it, my parents can loan me about 80,000 dollars and that only covers two years of my study. I could try to find a job there and I'm starting a patreon page to see if I can make some money from the art I do now.
Our 'SAT' test that determines which college you can apply is in January, 2018. If I want to stay in my own country I should start studying. But at the same time, I need to start preparing if I want to apply for UAL.

So I guess my question is, should I stay and study Computer Science? Or should I follow my dream and study art? And if you are an art student in London, could you give me any advice on funds and opportunities for international students? Thank you.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: College choices? - July 15th 2017, 07:41 PM

Ok, I just realized you were choosing between majors, not colleges. Anyway, here's a glowing review for another school if you're interested.
If you're going to study computer science and you want to go abroad, one great place to go is the University of Michigan. Granted, I have ties to the university so I may be biased, but it's consistently ranked as either the number 1 or number 2 public school in America. It has an excellent reputation (its often referred to as the Harvard of the Midwest) and their computer science ranking is tied with UCLA for 13th; however, considering all the ties in the rankings at US News and World Report, their ranking is basically 7. For a public school in America, that is considered to be an outstanding ranking. As for film, USA Today ranks them #8 in the country, which is also an excellent ranking. My brother went to Michigan for film actually, and while he ended up using his second major for his career, he had a great time with the film program.
The city of Ann Arbor is very nice and there's something for everyone here. It's consistently rated as either the number 1 or 2 college town in America. The city is extremely artsy compared to every other city I've ever been to save for New York City (maybe). The city and the university are extremely multicultural with basically all* races, ethnicities, and religions represented. I personally know a ton of Asian students, and there's no reason you would ever feel ostracized based on nationality or race.
Michigan also offers a ton of financial aid, so if your parents are strapped for cash (doesn't sound like it if they're willing to loan you 80k) or if you're on your own, there is a great chance you could get financial aid. They just voted to make tuition free for anyone under a certain income. However, I don't know how that works for international students. Public schools in the US are almost always cheaper than private schools, however.
Yeah, I'd totally recommend Michigan. You'll get a fantastic education and in all likelihood you'd have a great experience there.

*Obviously, a city of 110,000 can't represent EVERY race, ethnicity, or religion in the world, but you get my point.
Closed Thread