TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sage

Points: 5,116, Level: 10 Points: 5,116, Level: 10 Points: 5,116, Level: 10

Unhappy School starting soon. - August 15th 2017, 06:44 AM

School is starting in just a few days. And everyone says 'Its just Freshman nerves.' But I feel like its more. Anxiety does run through the family and I've always shown signs. But basically I've had about a million panic attacks the last few days and im honestly scared.
I had Freshman orientation and the memories of 8th grade and how depressed/miserable I was from people in middle school rushed back from seeing them all.
And I know the saying 'you will meet new people.' Well about 4/5 middle schools feed into the Highschool. I've been to two. One consisting of the majority and one with the second biggest in majority. The last 3 schools only have about 10 kids, so really it WONT be new people.
And although I know most of the people, I went out of 8th grade with no friends (Anxiety pulled me away from them) so, ill be going in with none.
UgHHH Im just so nervous.
Please leave advice and change catergory if needed. I didnt know whether to put in Education or Mental Illness.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SakuraNeko98 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brianna

Points: 5,083, Level: 10 Points: 5,083, Level: 10 Points: 5,083, Level: 10

Re: School starting soon. - August 16th 2017, 11:56 AM

Hey, freshman year is really hard. Anxiety also runs in my family and I've had it my whole life, but had no idea until last year. I'm going into 10th grade next week.

Don't let your anxiety entirely hold you back though. I have a small friend group of people that I trust and it makes it easier to deal with everything. Try to stay out of trouble, too. Are you on anxiety medication at the moment?

I hope you have a good freshman year
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: School starting soon. - August 21st 2017, 01:52 PM

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with anxiety, especially now that school is starting up.

While it is true that many people will get nervous before a new term and that there may be some new people in school as well, I do understand that with a history of anxiety (in both you and your family) couple with depression and not many friends can make you dread going back to school.

Have you considered getting help for your anxiety, perhaps from a school counsellor or doctor? Anytime things get in the way of your life, it's always a good idea to talk about them and get help.

You may have gone out of 8th grade with no friends, and you may feel that you'll be going in with none, but it could also be a fresh start too. What happened with the friends that you did have that anxiety pulled you away from? It's never too late to reconnect with old friends, and if you can get help for your anxiety as well, you'll learn that you can control the anxiety and not let the anxiety control you!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
Closed Thread