TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,306, Level: 23 Points: 27,306, Level: 23 Points: 27,306, Level: 23

Night time work. - April 16th 2019, 12:55 AM

So I went to a job interview today for housekeeping at a local hospital. Apparently they really need someone full time 10pm to 6:30am, now, I've worked night shift before, I think it was 6pm to 6am or something like that for when I worked for a few intellectually disabled people in their apartment. It wasn't bad and I managed to stay awake all night. It has been a few years though Anybody have any techniques, tips, or tricks that you work, have worked, or even know someone who has worked night shift? They are considering me for the night shift position and I am eagerly looking forward to it, however, I'm not certain I can hang without some tricks. I used to drink a lot of energy drinks when I was working night shift last time, but this time around I am trying to be more healthy and conscious about what I intake.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Night time work. - April 17th 2019, 12:02 AM

I know someone who does night shifts in a psych hospital--7pm to 7am or sometimes 7am to 7pm.

I know when he's supposed to work the nights he tries to get a nap in before he has to leave for work. He'll also bring stuff with him to work (because a sometimes the patients are asleep and not a lot has to be done) to work on while he's there. Homework and stuff.

I think he also works out regularly which helps how he feels in general and I think it might make working the night shift easier somehow. Adding a few light workouts to your schedule could help; they can give you more energy throughout the rest of the day.

I hope it all goes well for you!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14

Re: Night time work. - April 17th 2019, 12:09 AM

Sleeping a bit before leaving for work does help. In general, a lot about night shifts is getting accustomed to them. I've worked night shifts for almost 2 years now, and while I hate shifts, night ones aren't so bad - assuming you have actual work to do.

Bumping caffeine consumption is a very short-term solution, cause your body will get used to it with time, not to mention you might have troubles with sleeping properly when you have to.

I personally don't really use any tricks. One thing I always carry with me is music, having something playing in the background can really help your mind stay afloat.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9

Re: Night time work. - April 17th 2019, 12:53 PM

Black out window covers (blinds? curtains? whatever you call them) really help my friend is a nurse.

I've also heard positive things about melatonin for people who work nights, especially early on when they're trying to change their sleeping rhythm -- please ask a doctor or pharmacist about this first though. I know a lot of people take melatonin for sleep without talking to a doctor/pharmacist or nurse etc, but I think it's a good thing to check just in case.

I used to work nights and it's actually why I started watching Gilmore Girls so much; it was a quiet, laid back show where the worst people would do was yell at each other a bit but there wasn't anything too crazy that I had to watch the screen at all times to follow what was happening, and I didn't get disturbed by a lot of crashing and banging and screaming and explosions. Also, I find that a peaceful drama was the key? Like comedies get a little too chaotic a times too. Any how, I've since expanded my repertoire (e.g. the Office is another good one; so funny but not chaotic???)... I'd watch Gilmore Girls when I got home from my shift to help me wind down for sleep.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,306, Level: 23 Points: 27,306, Level: 23 Points: 27,306, Level: 23

Re: Night time work. - April 17th 2019, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the tips guys!

I decided to take another job for security that's also night shift, and I will be able to take things to do. I thought it would be better than cleaning all night. I like to read books so I will be sticking up on scary ones and action packed ones that won't put me to sleep, and I have an older portable DVD player to take plus have Netflix and hulu on my phone and tablet. I think I'll be fine!

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pamarlisa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 2,409, Level: 7 Points: 2,409, Level: 7 Points: 2,409, Level: 7

Re: Night time work. - April 18th 2019, 05:21 AM

I had experience in the night shift and I combined it with study. I can say that it is unreal and I always wanted to sleep. Later I even needed the help [Edited] because I had difficulties. Perhaps you'd better think about another job if your body is constantly sleepy.

Last edited by Celyn; April 18th 2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Link leading users off-site
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42

Re: Night time work. - April 18th 2019, 09:37 AM

The only advice I can really give you is get some adequate sleep before you start your shifts. I know that may be hard with the daylight but it might help with curtains that block all of the light coming through the windows.

I've never worked night shift before. The latest I've ever finished work is probably around 2:30am.

I personally couldn't do night shift haha.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeborahBAguirre Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 2,074, Level: 6 Points: 2,074, Level: 6 Points: 2,074, Level: 6

Re: Night time work. - April 19th 2019, 01:30 PM

Great Post please do share more
Closed Thread