TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

I QUIT - July 2nd 2022, 01:35 AM

They're long, but for the full back story, you can read these threads:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-e...mental-health/
and
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-e...-one-two-ways/

I knew all along the new general manager didn't like me and wanted to get rid of me, and I was right. The person they hired over me either quit or was fired, I know because after having my hours cut to practically nothing, and being told for months they didn't have the hours to give me, I woke up to 12 8-hour shift requests and the department was drowning as always..

And the job (which I've been passed over for twice) was posted 2 days ago. As soon as I saw it, I applied just like anyone else, and submitted to have my availability changed to completely open (the ONLY reason my manager has told me I haven't gotten it.) I then mentioned the posting to her and what I had done when I worked that night.

The next day, I'm contacted by our senior recruiter, which I think is weird, but if she's going to make me go through the process like everyone else, that's fine, I'll play along. I schedule a phone screen for this afternoon and wait.

The phone screen never happens (surprise, surprise), less than 10 minutes after it would've ended, I get an email saying I have a notification: There's a performance review waiting for me. I would've been there 5 years in August. Reviews are ALWAYS done in person, never electronically, and I have ALWAYS "met expectations", the minimum required to remain in good standing, and apply for open positions, (and they admit that anything higher, is really hard to achieve.)

She literally put a performance review in writing, off schedule that rated me at "partially meets expectations." Just low enough that she doesn't have to give me the damn job. And she did it electronically so she didn't have to face me because

1. She wanted it done in time to deny me for the position and not have it look suspicious (I assume) and meeting with me would take too long, not to mention tip me off.

2. She knew I'd be absolutely livid, refuse to sign it, and walk out.

So, I did not submit it (the equivalent of signing it), immediately called the store and told them I quit. When the manager who answered asked why, I just said (manager) knows what she did," and gave him the short version of what just happened. Then emailed a reasonably detailed rundown of her actions over the last 8 months to her boss and explained that I would gladly work there in the future if she were replaced. I don't expect anything to come of it, but it had to be done.

She wanted me gone and she won, but she will drown without me, everyone knows it, and I don't care. That will be the best revenge.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: I QUIT - July 2nd 2022, 11:02 PM

I’m glad that you were able to get out of that job but sorry about how it had to happen. Here’s hoping better opportunities come your way soon!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: I QUIT - July 3rd 2022, 07:15 PM

I can completely understand why you hit breaking point and left. No job is worth this much grief, and I am confident another employer will understand and respect you much more. It's a shame it had to come to this, but there are definitely bigger and better things out there for you!

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: I QUIT - July 4th 2022, 05:05 AM

Thanks! I'm technically still in limbo (I called to quit, but nothing's been processed yet), but they aren't trying to call me in or to see why I'm not showing up. My guess is they're going to wait until I no call/no show for 3 shifts and then consider it a termination, but my email to her boss says different and is clearly dated first. Or, the person who's job it is to process it and do the schedule, gave herself the holiday weekend off.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: I QUIT - July 5th 2022, 05:17 PM

Congratulations! The change and transition may hurt, but it'll be worth it.

something burning?
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: I QUIT - July 6th 2022, 12:42 AM

I'm so sorry it had to be this way, that the manager has caused you to quit. I'm hoping something bigger and better will come along for you soon.

You should be really proud of yourself for having the courage to step back and say "I've had enough of this" and walk away. It's an excellent quality.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: I QUIT - July 8th 2022, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal. View Post
I'm so sorry it had to be this way, that the manager has caused you to quit. I'm hoping something bigger and better will come along for you soon.

You should be really proud of yourself for having the courage to step back and say "I've had enough of this" and walk away. It's an excellent quality.

That's sweet of you. I'd had enough for awhile, and was trying to do things the "right" way (line something else up and then put in 2 weeks notice and then work the 2 weeks out), but, everything culminated and once she pulled the BS performance review out of literally nowhere for the express purpose of ruining me with no chance to come back from it, with the MOST OBVIOUS timing EVER, that was it.

They have since officially processed it and paid out my vacation time, and the job posting was pulled; which is proof that I never had a real shot at it. Either she had it filled already, or it was never actually available. She started last June, and by October was screwing with me; now I wonder how far back she was planning on doing this. Like did she know the day she decided we needed the position, that I was never getting it? Was it all a conspiracy just to get rid of me? It doesn't matter, I came out on top regardless, but I will no longer be paranoid when I suspect someone else is pulling this, and it proves again that some people are just not good with power.

Closed Thread