TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Starting college - August 30th 2011, 04:29 PM

Hi guys.

So I'm starting college on Monday and I am terrified. We've got induction days for the whole week and I don't get what we will be doing. Its massive and I don't know where I need to be. I struggle with anxiety and have social anxiety so this is a really big thing for me and I'm scared of how I am going to cope with it. I'm worried it'll be a trigger to my panic attacks and it will all go wrong and I won't make any friends and eugh.

Any advice?
Thanks.

Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Points: 16,527, Level: 18 Points: 16,527, Level: 18 Points: 16,527, Level: 18

Re: Starting college - August 30th 2011, 07:27 PM

If you don't know where you are going then go to the campus and get a map sometime this week and plan out your routes this way you dont get lost on campus. Take your schedule with you and so you can study the campus and get to know it before the first day of class. This way you can ask professors or administration for help. They should be at the campus now getting ready for the school year. If you aren't wanting to do that, I am sure they have a map on the school website and you can get a feel for it that way. Fimilarize yourself with what area your classes will be. And on the first day of class if you get confused ask an upperclassmen.

As far as the introductions your talking about. It will be fine, this week should be no problem. You will more than likely just meet your professors, may have to introduce yourself to the class, don't worry. You can just offer your name and what your majoring in and that your excited for the school year and leave it at that. This is when your professors will also give you your syllbus and go over what you will be studying and what will be expected. It won't be too hard.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JellyBean4986 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Leenie beanie :)

Points: 8,703, Level: 13 Points: 8,703, Level: 13 Points: 8,703, Level: 13

Re: Starting college - August 31st 2011, 03:27 AM

Every new college freshman will be nervous too, and if they say they aren't, they're lieing. Just try to relax and you'll be fine.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Re: Starting college - September 1st 2011, 03:43 PM

I found when I started college the first week we had someone lead us to class to class, and around the college for the first week, we got put into groups and did a few ice breakers and such like and it was quite good fun, we then got put into different groups and given a task to carry out, it was abit like hide and seek, one group went off and hid around the college within a certain area and we were given a map with a circle of where the other group were and we had to use the map to locate the other group.

You will make friends, when I started college I did not think I would but I did. The first week of college is always odd as its a new start and theres new people, but generally by the time you get to college people have matured a-lot more. Maybe arrive at college a-bit early and speak to someone in student support services and let them know that your abit nervous and ask if you could speak to your main tutor briefly before class .

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
RforPirate Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,669, Level: 12 Points: 7,669, Level: 12 Points: 7,669, Level: 12

Re: Starting college - September 6th 2011, 08:42 PM

Ah I suffer from the same thing

I share a townhouse with 3 other guys, too scared to leave my room and use the bathroom because of the fear of bumping into one of them
Closed Thread