TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Points: 17,836, Level: 19 Points: 17,836, Level: 19 Points: 17,836, Level: 19

Can my boss force me to work in a smoking section? - January 7th 2012, 04:47 PM

Can my boss force to work in a smoking section?
My job has a smoking and a non-smoking section and has been asking me to go in the smoking section and each time I've avoided it. However, there is more and more pressure to be forced into this area. I do not want second hand smoke that can cause cancer.
I live in the state of California. Does anyone know if he can force me into the smoking section? If he can legally, I will quit.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Points: 18,110, Level: 19 Points: 18,110, Level: 19 Points: 18,110, Level: 19

Re: Can my boss force me to work in a smoking section? - January 7th 2012, 05:10 PM

I would check the laws. On the one hand, it is not healthy on the other he is the boss and some people have to work that section. If you like you can tell him you will quit but you may get a bad reference if he fires you, whether it is legal ir not.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

PM me
All or nothing for Christ Was I love dogs

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not parish, but have everlasting life John 3:16 ( 21st century King James Viersion)
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Points: 24,468, Level: 22 Points: 24,468, Level: 22 Points: 24,468, Level: 22

Re: Can my boss force me to work in a smoking section? - January 10th 2012, 04:03 AM

It depends on how the business is run, probably. I can see it definitely being illegal for him to make you work there if you had a medical condition, but it's a little sketchy if you don't have one. Try contacting your local department of labor. I tried to look through the California website and there's a lot of jargon, so I'd suggest just calling.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: Can my boss force me to work in a smoking section? - January 10th 2012, 04:48 AM

I live in California too and I did a little research on it for you. The fact sheet that I found said this: "(B) All employees who enter the smoking area consent to permit smoking. No one, as part of his or her work responsibilities, shall be required to work in an area where smoking is permitted. An employer who is determined by the division to have used coercion to obtain consent or who has required an employee to work in the smoking area shall be subject to the penalty provisions of Section 6427."

I'm definitely going to encourage you to look at that sheet in more depth though, just in case I misinterpreted something. Hope this helped!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
Closed Thread