TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology, Gamers and Gadgets This forum is for discussions about your games, technology, the latest apps or cool gadgets

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20

Apple products - July 19th 2015, 07:17 PM

Next month, when I get paid, I'm going to go buy a new computer. I was thinking of getting an Apple computer, mac, whatever. But I know next to nothing about them.

Any suggestions, or things I might want to know?

Is Apple good or bad? Should I stick to Windows? I have an iPhone and I love it.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Re: Apple products - July 19th 2015, 11:30 PM

Hi thanks for posting I brought an Apple Mac 6months ago I knew nothing about Apple I also recently brought an iPhone so which is why I decided to go for a Mac so I could be in the same Eco system.

My opinion Macs are amazing I would never use windows again honestly I walk upstairs press the button on it and boom it's on and ready to go in seconds. Windows takes ages it's slow after time it's annoying plus you will have to use the new operating system Windows 8 because new computers will run the latest operating system which is terrible (my opinion).

I'm going to be honest and admit my opinion is completely biased towards Apple because I like it but Windows is great don't get me wrong I use when i'm at College and it works fine but with OS X it just works so nicely and fast which is what I like as I don't have patience. I guess the question is what do you prefer could you pop in to store and have a play with a Mac? Macs tend to last longer then any windows computer they preform really well but it all comes down on what you're going to be using it for. Do you plan on using your new Mac for a gaming machine? Playing the latest and high powerful games and at a high frames per second? Then Mac is not your computer I would advise you to get a Windows machine for that but for searching the web, shopping, TeenHelp, and almost anything else the Mac wins hands down they are amazing computers and I will never ever go back even if someone gave me it for free.

The machines are beautiful they look stunning I prefer it then most of these plastic computers which run windows with all the fans and air vents it doesn't look good in my opinion.

What type of Mac do you plan on using? Macbook Pro, macbook Air, I Mac.

Macbook Pro

Macbook pro is like your any old laptop good for taking to work easy to carry around you can use ion your lap take it to the coffee shop it's thin and light and powerful.

Macbook Air is slightly less power then the Macbook pro (I think) You would have to double check that. Macbook Air is mainly for people who need a even more portable laptop then the pro they need it really small and when I say small i'm talking about an 8 inch scream or a 12 inch screen.

I Mac

I Mac is mainly a desktop computer you put it on a desk and leave it there it stays there and does not move it's a stationary device it has tons of power I would imagine it's the most powerful out of all the Macs depending on which one you get obviously. The new 5k display model is lush but then again I highly doubt you're going spend £2000 on a computer unless your going to use it for extreme graphics design.

I would suggest the Apple MacBook Pro 13 inch with retina display it's a great computer I have it and they recently put force touch track pads on them and they are amazing. Do you plan on only using your Mac for internet use? Then you could easily go down to the 700 pounds level of Macs and get a pretty cheap one they all run OS X which will preform well for internet shopping it's only when your gonna be using them for something like graphics editing or something you need to take it consideration which machine you shall be using. Macs have many advantages when you are in the Apple Eco system for example How would you like your phone calls, texts and notifications form your phone such as calendar advents and reminders coming straight to your Mac? As soon as it happens on your phone (if on) the Mac will start ringing! And you can take the phone cool on it as well how call is that? It has a pretty nice feature called Air drop which allows you to send things wirelessly Apple product to Apple product so if you have a picture on your Mac and want it on your iPhone no problem just press share on your Mac and click Airdrop then it will say the name of your iPhone and then you press send and it magically appear on your iPhone. I would be lying if I said it worked all the time because sometimes it fails hard I once waited half an hour for it to find my phone.

Macs are really good computers they are very well organised and they are easy to use I would not consider myself an expert on Macs but somethings will take a struggle to get use to but for this machine which just works so fast no more internet explorer is not responding.

Mac price range is from £700 to £3000.

I'm sure if you love your iPhone then you will love a Mac as well iTunes even runs faster on the Mac then it would on your normal computer which is pretty handy.

Pop down in to your local store and have a play take your time when deciding this is a big step don't buy unless your 100% sure.
Remember if you plan on only using if or shopping and normal use then a non super expensive one is the way to go. I only got the retina display model because I wanted a bit of higher price in my computer but a 700 pound one will certainly do the job I think.
I would advise going to an Apple store because they are seriously really nice and have great customer service.
Take care ~Justin~
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: Apple products - July 20th 2015, 01:16 AM

I don't really know much about computers, but I do know that anyone who has a Mac seems to prefer it over Windows.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: Apple products - July 20th 2015, 03:18 PM

I have a Windows desktop, as well as an iPhone/Macbook Pro. It really depends on what you need it for. If you plan on gaming, or if you have a Steam account, then Apple is not the best choice. If you aren't very good with computers, I find Mac to be easier to learn. If you'll be using editing software for music or anything then Mac may be a better fit. I've had my Macbook Pro for around three years and haven't had many issues other than my cat chewing the charger. The downside is things tend to be way more expensive to replace. If you don't live near an Apple store, you need to really consider if it'll be worth it to drive to one if you need to.

Your question on whether Apple is good or bad really depends on who you ask. I personally find iPhone easier to use with a Mac rather than Windows. If you plan on sticking with an iPhone you may want the Mac. Definitely see if you can go to a store and play around with one like Justin suggested. It will feel weird at first but eventually you get used to using a different operating system. Justin is also right that Windows 8 is quite different from previous Windows operating systems, so try to play with a computer that has that as well.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: Apple products - July 20th 2015, 08:30 PM

As a gamer, I'd pick a windows PC over apple any day. But if that's not your main priority, from what I've seen of macs, they're pretty good. Certainly, I have friends who've got macs and now never want anything else.
In terms of apple products in general, I used to hate them, but am slowly being converted. They cost a lot, but they do seem good quality and from what I've seen of my partner's mac, it'll last a while.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20

Re: Apple products - July 20th 2015, 08:44 PM

Thanks, everyone! I think I might get the pro or air... Does anyone know the main differences of the two?

I don't game- I just use my laptop for Skype, surfing the web, iTunes, TH, and of course school work. Do macs have something like Microsoft Word? Or could I use it on an Apple computer?

Sorry for so many questions, I appreciate the help!

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Apple products - July 20th 2015, 10:18 PM

They have their own office thing. Or a version of MS office I think. My friend's had one for years and it's never broken so it has that going for it

Take as long as you need.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: Apple products - July 20th 2015, 10:30 PM

My mac didn't come with any sort of microsoft office programs, however you can get Apache Open Office for free and it's basically the same. There's also Google Docs. If you're in the US and in University you may be able to get it free through your school. I know I got it for free with my school email.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
CcIrAaRzA33me Offline
Because...cats.
Not a n00b

Name: Ci

Points: 5,439, Level: 10 Points: 5,439, Level: 10 Points: 5,439, Level: 10

Re: Apple products - July 21st 2015, 01:52 AM

Hi! I just got a mac, and I've always had windows. I love my mac. I wouldn't trade it for the world... I'm about to go and buy an iMac to replace my desktop.
They do have Microsoft Office for Mac. I use it. In fact, they just released Microsoft Office 2016. I get it for free because my college allows you to use MicrosoftOffice365.

Hope I helped.

Embrace the beautiful mess that you are.
Closed Thread