TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23

Tattoo Pain - February 16th 2018, 01:48 AM

Okay, so I know that tattoos hurt when receiving them, but do they hurt worse on, say, burn scars? /is thinking about getting a semicolon

I want to put the tattoo on the outside of my arm on a burn scar. Would it hurt more?

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Tattoo Pain - February 16th 2018, 02:21 AM

Hey there,

I don't have personal experience with this but I have looked into covering my scars with tattoos. I have never heard anything that says tattooing over a scar would lead to it hurting more. I asked someone that I'd been talking to who covered their scars with tattoos and they said it didn't hurt them any more than their usual tattoos. That being said, I can't say for certain that everyone has had the same experiences.

I hope someone with more experience will be able to add more insight. That was one of my biggest concerns but no one I talked to and no other research turned up anything.

Best regards.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Tattoo Pain - February 16th 2018, 04:50 AM

Hey,

So I have tattoos covering some scars and it hurt the same as if it wasn't over a scar.

But I do want to let you know, before they can tattoo over a scar it can't be red or pink and usually has to been made 6 months to a year ago. If it is really raised they may not be able to tattoo over it. So my advice is before you set up the appointment go to the shop and have them look at where you want it and the scar. From there they will tell you if they can tattoo over it or not.

I hope this helped.
Your Friend,
Frankie<3
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Tattoo Pain - February 16th 2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latibule View Post
Hey,

So I have tattoos covering some scars and it hurt the same as if it wasn't over a scar.

But I do want to let you know, before they can tattoo over a scar it can't be red or pink and usually has to been made 6 months to a year ago. If it is really raised they may not be able to tattoo over it. So my advice is before you set up the appointment go to the shop and have them look at where you want it and the scar. From there they will tell you if they can tattoo over it or not.

I hope this helped.
Your Friend,
Frankie<3
This is a good point. Most artists will talk to you and tell you if the tattoo they have planned will work on the scar. If it doesn't they can usually help you figure out what will.

I know, for example, some colors are better for scars than others. I talked to a few different people who have scars and I found a youtuber who talked about her decisions, they all said that the artists were willing to work with them to figure out how to make it work.

There are some youtube video's about it and there is one that I found by a tattoo artist and she talks a lot about her experiences tattooing over self harm scars. It might be worth watching those because she basically says that depending on the type of scar ... you have to use certain designs etc. At the end of the day, it comes down to the tattoo artist and their experiences with self harm scars.

If you want to find the video's you can type in tattooing over self harm scars and the first video that shows for me is the one by the tattoo artist.

Sorry I didn't mention this in my previous post!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: Tattoo Pain - February 18th 2018, 05:09 AM

Hey there!

I have not had a tattoo on my scars so I can't give you a personal opinion on that. However, I did look into it. It does vary from person to person and your individual pain tolerance. Scar tissue does tend to be more sensitive than undamaged skin so it is possible that you will feel it more. Pain is dependent on the individual person so it may hurt more, it may not but you probably will feel it more because of the scar tissue.

Depending on the severity as well as the size there will be different things that the tattoo artist can and cannot do. Your best bet is to make an appointment with your tattoo artist and let them take a look at the scar and see if it is possible. This is because the scar needs to be fully healed and then they have to look if it's possible to tattoo over it (if it's raised, the size, how deep it is, ect).

I hope this helps! Take care.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Points: 24,469, Level: 22 Points: 24,469, Level: 22 Points: 24,469, Level: 22

Re: Tattoo Pain - February 18th 2018, 07:30 AM

The tattoo artist will talk to you about your options. If they don't, they suck and you should find another one.
I've had one that didn't hurt at all on a scar and another that hurt like no other on another. It all depends, but you just have to consider, it's only once!

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread