TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

First tattoo ideas/questions - September 9th 2018, 07:44 PM

Hi all,
I'm planning to do my first tattoo in winter or spring. I have a few questions about it

1) Is it better to do it in November/December or March/April?

2) Have you had any experience concerning watercolour tats - if yes could you describe it?

3) Is a forearm a practical place for it? I would like it neither to be particularly visible nor hidden, what really matters is that I can see it (which leaves such places as back out of consideration). I have a low tolerance for pain.

4) And the best part of choosing my tattoo - the design
I'm looking for as many ideas as I can gather.
  • something connected with travelling (a plane, a globe, continents...)
  • marinistic (a pirate ship?)
  • London/Rome skyline
Another idea I got recently is something connected with fantasy literature - yet I don't know what exactly. I've seen some tattoos about Tolkien's, Game of Thrones, Kvothe, The Earthsea... and they're all absolutely amazing. But I love lots and lots of books and I don't want to limit myself by choosing one.
Can you think of any versatile design for a fantasy literature lover?

I'll be grateful for any answers. Thank you!
Have a good day,
Sue

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17

Re: First tattoo ideas/questions - September 12th 2018, 11:58 AM

1) Not sure it'll really make a difference. Winter may make it rub a bit on your jumper or something but not totally sure.

2)No experience sorry

3) Forearms can be practical, depending on where on the arm. The closer to the elbow the easier it is to hide if you want to. Pain wise, I reckon if you get it on the boney bit of your arm its gonna hurt way more than like the flat of the arm. THIS is a handy chart

4) Not gonna suggest an idea simply because I believe that if you don't come up with the idea yourself, you're not committing. So I avoid giving ideas and critiquing tbh,

Best of luck!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23

Re: First tattoo ideas/questions - September 12th 2018, 10:27 PM

1.) Depends on what clothing would be most comfortable to wear. You don't want to be wearing anything tight or that will rub a lot.
2.) I just got a watercolor tattoo about a month ago. It's like any other color tattoo; watercolor is just a style. Color in general can hurt more depending on how much the artist has to go over it. Mine didn't really hurt. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking about for experience, so feel free to send me a PM if you have other questions.
3.) Forearm is probably good, but go with what makes you comfortable. Forearm isn't supposed to hurt too much either.
4.) I would recommend designing it yourself or with the help of your artist. Spend time researching artists who are best at the style and type of designs you want.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: First tattoo ideas/questions - September 13th 2018, 12:07 AM

1) I don't think it makes a difference, I got my thigh tattoo in winter and wear skinny jeans that are skin tight and it didn't bug me at all. So I say pick the months that work best for you.

2) No experience with it, but plan on getting one done in may or next September.

3) I have tattoos on both my forearms and they are practical because you can hid them with sleeves for work if you need to. As for pain I honestly don't think anyone can give you a definite answer on this. My forearm tattoos hurt, but all of mine hurt because I have a low tolerance for pain when someone else is causing it. I will say the closer to the elbow crease the worse it hurt, so if possible stay away from that area.

4) I will not suggest anything for design. I believe the tattoo has to mean something to the person, therefor I cannot help. I will say that designing your own tattoo will give it a lot more meaning. So I would work with a tattoo artist to design it.

I know you didn't ask this but I will put this out there. Research tattoo artist, go look at their work place and some of the tattoos they have done before. Do not just go to the first one you find or the cheapest...Find one you are comfortable with.
Closed Thread