TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Points: 11,119, Level: 15 Points: 11,119, Level: 15 Points: 11,119, Level: 15

need help deciding on tattoo - September 10th 2011, 04:54 PM

Hey there all!

So, I plan on getting my first tattoo this year. I plan on getting it when I'm in a really good, healthy spot. That way I have a permanent reminder that can help me when I'm low and remind me that the depression won't last forever.

The only problem is, I'm having a hard time deciding on a symbol. I plan to get it on my wrist (really symbolic b/c of sh), small enough that it can be hidden w/ bracelets or a watch. I want something that symbolizes rebirth, fresh starts, hope, and serenity.

I had always planned on getting a butterfly, because they mean a lot to me and have been a big part of my recovery. The only problem is I'm not sure if I'd want a butterfly on my wrist forever. I then started thinking about a dove, but I don't want it cartoonish. I'm just kind of at a lost for what would look good on my wrist and that I would still enjoy when I'm older.

Do any of y'all have any ideas?

God, grant the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know that difference.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: need help deciding on tattoo - September 10th 2011, 05:06 PM

I think a small dove would look really nice on the wrist. If you're not sure about having it though, don't get it until you're 100% sure you can live with it for the rest of your life. I have words on my wrists to remind me not to SH and stuff, I have Believe on my right wrist and I'm getting Hope on my left wrist. Something simple yet extremely symbolic. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15

Re: need help deciding on tattoo - September 11th 2011, 04:24 PM

Just look at different symbols that have influenced you positively, or even words, and don't get it until that one image/word just really speaks to you. For example, I'm getting the outline of a bright pink heart on my wrist.. I went through so many things that I could get before I realized that I'm always back at wanting the heart.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Points: 11,119, Level: 15 Points: 11,119, Level: 15 Points: 11,119, Level: 15

Re: need help deciding on tattoo - September 15th 2011, 11:48 PM

Thank y'all for your advice. I am going to wait until the perfect moment and until I've thought about the symbol for a long time. Either a butterfly, dove, or words like "faith", "hope", or "believe". As of right now I'm really considering the dove, b/c it's a huge symbol of hope, new beginnings, and serenity (like butterflies), but it's a little more grownup, and it also symbolizes faith as well. I've been thinking about just a simple outline, or making it more henna like with abstract details.

I still would love a butterfly, but I'm just not sure if that's too young. I'm probably going to save the words for my hips (my other SH place) when I'm truly recovered from sh. The one on my wrist is going to be more helpful for blatant sh or suicidal ideations.

God, grant the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know that difference.
Closed Thread