TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DarkSwan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3

What are you looking forward to over Christmas? - December 19th 2022, 12:54 PM

I will be very honest and admit I'm struggling.

Usually I love Christmas. It's my most favourite time of the year.

However for the last 3 years, I've felt something has got in the way and ruined it a bit. In 2020, we had a house fire on December 1st, and couldn't return home until March 2021. Then last Christmas myself and the youngest had covid.

And now this year, almost everyone is ill again, and I have a sprained foot. And I honestly just can't enjoy it. I can't be bothered with anything and I just am not looking forward to the day at all. I just want it over and done with.

But I'm trying to find something to look forward to - so I'm focusing on the children's faces when they open their gifts. Just hope they like them.

What about you? What are you looking forward to?

Last edited by DarkSwan; December 19th 2022 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Forgot something
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,822, Level: 33 Points: 55,822, Level: 33 Points: 55,822, Level: 33

Re: What are you looking forward to over Christmas? - December 19th 2022, 01:36 PM

Hi Lu,
I'm so sorry to hear that you've had such rough Christmas for a couple of years now. It's a very special time of year and it must've been hard to see all the 'joy' around you (TV ads, decorations, lights, shopping spree, Christmas music...) while your situation did not allow for a cheerful celebration.
If I were you, I would acknowledge your feelings. Yes, your family is ill, and you have a sprained foot - this is very unfortunate. Last Christmas you were hit by the coronavirus. Two years ago you went through a house fire. All of these are terrible experiences, especially during Christmas time, and you have every right to feel annoyed, angry, sad, or even furious and distraught.
While acknowledging all your feelings and making space for them, you could try - as you said - to look for the bright parts of this year's Christmas. It could be your children's reaction to their gifts, good food, warmth, the presence of the people closest to you, even very small things that you like (crisp air outside? the vanilla scent of a candle? a decorated tree? a morning coffee? a bath with a gingerbread bath bomb?).

I am looking to spending time with my family, which is a very chaotic family, with small kids and lots of pets. Sometimes they annoy me a lot and I don't want to spend time with them, I just wish to have space for myself to work or study. Still, I rarely see everyone gathered together, and even with children running around, all the noises and music and chaos I am very much looking forward to spending time with them. I prepared a special handmade gift for my Dad and I can't wait to see his reaction.

Even if your Christmas isn't perfect, I hope you will be able to find joy in what you have. I wish you a peaceful time spent both with your family and with yourself.
Take care!
xx S

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,654, Level: 59 Points: 172,654, Level: 59 Points: 172,654, Level: 59

Re: What are you looking forward to over Christmas? - December 19th 2022, 06:49 PM

I like the idea of looking forward to your children's faces when they open their presents! Maybe you can also try to find joy in the little things like Christmas music or some of the old traditional Christmas movies.
Honestly I haven't had the Christmas spirit for the last two years since my niece moved to Florida, so I don't see her around Christmas. We mail her gifts but it's not the same as watching her open them up. It's also just been a rough year for me mentally. I'm trying to look forward to my niece sending me a message with how she likes her gifts from me.
Your feelings are super valid though, and it's understandable that you are feeling this way. Don't invalidate your feelings, but also find joy in some of the small things like I mentioned. Maybe even make some Christmas cookies or another dessert to have a little fun.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: What are you looking forward to over Christmas? - December 20th 2022, 12:30 PM

For Christmas, I'm looking forward to being recovered from Covid. I'm also looking forward to seeing my niece open all her Christmas presents, the excitement and joy in a child's eyes is all that really matters. And being around family, food, and good TV. Then, as others have said, there are the little things as well. Christmas lights, the scent of foods or candles, special treats you only have once a year, etc etc.

I'm so sorry things have been rough for you the past couple holiday seasons. We have a holiday support chat here on TeenHelp's discord server this weekend and next weekend, feel free to join if you'd be interested.

Wishing you nothing but good thoughts and vibes.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DarkSwan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3

Re: What are you looking forward to over Christmas? - December 20th 2022, 05:38 PM

Thanks all. I've now come down with the dreaded flu that's sweeping the UK at the moment. Thankfully I'm not alone dealing with the kids as I have my amazing girlfriend helping.

I'm mostly just looking forward to being with my family, having good food and playing games. And I love my decorations. They bring me a lot of light.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42

Re: What are you looking forward to over Christmas? - December 21st 2022, 04:50 AM

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that the past couple of Christmas's have been rough for you. I love just spending time with family and having a couple of days off work.

Closed Thread