TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Afghanistan. - August 18th 2021, 02:39 AM

It is horrible what is currently going on in Afghanistan at the moment and my thoughts go out to them.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Afghanistan. - August 18th 2021, 04:00 PM

I've been following the news on Afghanistan too. I don't feel very knowledgeable about the situation or the background context so I'm not comfortable forming an opinion on things yet, but I do really feel sad for the people who are going through all of this.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Afghanistan. - August 18th 2021, 04:47 PM

Afghanistan has a lot of sad history to it going back decades — probably even centuries.

What I do know about it goes back to the Soviet invasion in the late 1970s. OBL, then a young man, was a rebel who fought against them and a group of these young belligerents formed a group.

They were already a concern as far back as the Reagan administration and continued to be through the Bush Sr. and Clinton administrations.

There are plenty of online sources where this can be read about further.

I'm sure everyone knows — whether or not you were alive yet — about the September 11th terrorist attacks. Bush Jr. had been president for about seven months. It was almost immediately made know AQ and OBL were behind this series of attacks.

On September 18th 2001, GWB Jr. announced the War on Terror and picked out Afghanistan solely because it's where OBL started all those years ago during the Soviet invasion.

So, in twenty years, what has been accomplished exactly? Bush didn't succeed in gunning down OBL; that happened during the Obama administration in 2011.

Other than that? Not a whole hell lot. I am frustrated because this has been ongoing for my whole life, but didn't take note of it until after September 11th.

I am frustrated because GWB Jr. started out on something that Reagan and his father couldn't resolve, something that Clinton ignored; and he had a set goal and he failed.

Obama did a good by killing OBL but that's pretty much it.

Trump. Let's not even start. I think he only made matters worse.

Now Biden is taking the fall by the Republicans; but it was the Republicans' mistake to begin with. Regan, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. and Trump. They failed too.

We've failed Afghanistan and its people.

Who are the Taliban and how did they take over Afghanistan so swiftly? — CNN News, August 16th 2021
Taliban take over Afghanistan: What we know and what's next. — AP News, August 17th 2021
Full transcript of President Biden's remarks on Afghanistan. — New York Times, August 16th 2021

Last edited by DeletedAccount81; August 18th 2021 at 05:22 PM.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Afghanistan. - August 20th 2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust. View Post
Afghanistan has a lot of sad history to it going back decades — probably even centuries.

What I do know about it goes back to the Soviet invasion in the late 1970s. OBL, then a young man, was a rebel who fought against them and a group of these young belligerents formed a group.

They were already a concern as far back as the Reagan administration and continued to be through the Bush Sr. and Clinton administrations.

There are plenty of online sources where this can be read about further.

I'm sure everyone knows — whether or not you were alive yet — about the September 11th terrorist attacks. Bush Jr. had been president for about seven months. It was almost immediately made know AQ and OBL were behind this series of attacks.

On September 18th 2001, GWB Jr. announced the War on Terror and picked out Afghanistan solely because it's where OBL started all those years ago during the Soviet invasion.

So, in twenty years, what has been accomplished exactly? Bush didn't succeed in gunning down OBL; that happened during the Obama administration in 2011.

Other than that? Not a whole hell lot. I am frustrated because this has been ongoing for my whole life, but didn't take note of it until after September 11th.

I am frustrated because GWB Jr. started out on something that Reagan and his father couldn't resolve, something that Clinton ignored; and he had a set goal and he failed.

Obama did a good by killing OBL but that's pretty much it.

Trump. Let's not even start. I think he only made matters worse.

Now Biden is taking the fall by the Republicans; but it was the Republicans' mistake to begin with. Regan, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. and Trump. They failed too.

We've failed Afghanistan and its people.

Who are the Taliban and how did they take over Afghanistan so swiftly? — CNN News, August 16th 2021
Taliban take over Afghanistan: What we know and what's next. — AP News, August 17th 2021
Full transcript of President Biden's remarks on Afghanistan. — New York Times, August 16th 2021
I think it was the fault of all past presidents and now Biden has to be the bad guy by keeping to an agreement that Trump made.

The republicans are ignoring that Trump signed this deal. They supposedly took it down from their platform.

I'm not really sure what Biden was supposed to do. He had to keep to the deal that Trump made and earlier this year Trump was saying that Biden should withdraw sooner than he had planned.

Biden is willing to take responsibilty, as he should, but he should not be taking the full responsibilty it was a domino effect with President after President not doing enough /making it worse.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Afghanistan. - August 21st 2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
I think it was the fault of all past presidents and now Biden has to be the bad guy by keeping to an agreement that Trump made.

The republicans are ignoring that Trump signed this deal. They supposedly took it down from their platform.

I'm not really sure what Biden was supposed to do. He had to keep to the deal that Trump made and earlier this year Trump was saying that Biden should withdraw sooner than he had planned.

Biden is willing to take responsibilty, as he should, but he should not be taking the full responsibilty it was a domino effect with President after President not doing enough /making it worse.
I agree with everything you said and it was exactly what I was thinking.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: Afghanistan. - August 21st 2021, 01:37 PM

I am keen on politics and history, so I've been following the situation in Afghanistan. Debates about the political, religious and social situation there are very interesting from a theoretical point of view. However, it all boils down to the people - citizens, workers, activists - whom the events have caused great suffering. I wish more lives could be saved and started anew in a better place.

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Afghanistan. - August 21st 2021, 11:45 PM

The Taliban surrendered in 2001 and George Bush didnt accept their surrender. This is all his fault.
https://theintercept.com/2017/08/22/...r-here-we-are/
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29

Re: Afghanistan. - August 24th 2021, 03:42 PM

Afghanistan is like veitnam sadly

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Afghanistan. - August 24th 2021, 04:35 PM

Except there were different population groups in Vietnam fighting against one another. Who's fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan? Look what happened a week and half ago when the Taliban were getting close to Kabul; the president fled and the military trained by the US government surrendered.

Again.... And I'll say it forever: This. Is. All. The. Soviets'. Fault.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Afghanistan. - August 24th 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
I've been following the news on Afghanistan too. I don't feel very knowledgeable about the situation or the background context so I'm not comfortable forming an opinion on things yet, but I do really feel sad for the people who are going through all of this.
This.

I can't really comment much on the situation. I've followed some of it on the news but I've been so busy and having to limit myself to tunnel vision because there's so much going on at work. I have seen bits of how civilians are having to be flown away from the country via military planes.

I feel so those who have to give up their lives and their homes when they shouldn't have to.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Afghanistan. - August 25th 2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivière View Post

This.

I can't really comment much on the situation. I've followed some of it on the news but I've been so busy and having to limit myself to tunnel vision because there's so much going on at work. I have seen bits of how civilians are having to be flown away from the country via military planes.

I feel so those who have to give up their lives and their homes when they shouldn't have to.
I've seen civilians being flown via military planes too.

Closed Thread