TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 5th 2012, 08:22 AM

Okay, I haven't really formed an opinion on this just yet (and even if I had, I wouldn't have the time to type it on my phone). I will sometime soon express my opinion.

My first question is: when do you see a religion as "valid"?
My second question is: is 'Batmanism' too obscure to be classified as a 'religion' (or is it a 'cult')?
Third: do you have any adverse feelings (or any for that matter) to those who choose to follow Batmanism?

Of course, I understand that it's somewhat satirical, but is it nonetheless valid than, say, Christianity?

http://www.batmanism.com
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 5th 2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composure View Post
My first question is: when do you see a religion as "valid"?
I don't usually think about that. Someone's religion or belief system is their own business, and who am I to judge what they believe in, regardless of whether or not I personally find it odd. All religions have to start somewhere, and although for the majority of my life I've had a religion, to be honest, the only thing telling me it was the true religion was my beliefs. I don't know for certain, meaning I can't judge the validity of any other religion.

Quote:
My second question is: is 'Batmanism' too obscure to be classified as a 'religion' (or is it a 'cult')?
If someone wants to call it their religion, I see no problem with that. People should be free to believe whatever they want to believe. I honestly don't know what officially changes a cult into a religion. It would possibly be considered a cult, but again, I wouldn't know for certain.

Quote:
Third: do you have any adverse feelings (or any for that matter) to those who choose to follow Batmanism?
None. I honestly don't care what they want to believe in. Personally I find it odd, because it comes from a fictional character, but then some people believe that Jesus was fictional. In the end, it's a personal belief. So long as they don't hurt any one, in my opinion they can do what they like.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 5th 2012, 09:37 AM

Considering religion has a particular set of beliefs to the cause and origin of our universe, I don't find it valid. Unless Batman made the universe. However, to me, it seems like they are more of a community, than a religion.

Religion:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

So, if Batman isn't a valid religion, then it can't be too obscure to be a religion, because it isn't one if it is lacking this fundamental belief of all religions.

Lastly, I have an adverse feeling against any human who believes they can provide "justice."

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 5th 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Mike and Men View Post
Considering religion has a particular set of beliefs to the cause and origin of our universe, I don't find it valid. Unless Batman made the universe. However, to me, it seems like they are more of a community, than a religion.

Religion:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

So, if Batman isn't a valid religion, then it can't be too obscure to be a religion, because it isn't one if it is lacking this fundamental belief of all religions.

Lastly, I have an adverse feeling against any human who believes they can provide "justice."
Not all religions are concerned with how the earth started. Buddhism isn't really focused with that question. If anything Batman is Jesus and DC is God. Jediism is a religion to some people, even if you do think it's false. So it could be. Batman could be up there looking over us all. Maybe God is just in hiding right now.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 5th 2012, 10:59 PM

I really don't see how the principal is any different from that of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's basically using a fictional character to prove a point about religion by applying "moral codes" to its followers within the context of what "deity" has been chosen. It's most often meant to be a hyperbolic satire about Christianity.

The religious and/or spiritual beliefs of a person aren't really any of my business. It's their lives and their choice what to do with them. That doesn't mean I will not have my own OPINION in regards to their beliefs, though, based on my choices and what I believe in. But if someone wants to practice batmanism, then by all means, Dark Knight, don your garb and protect the night.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 6th 2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonsteroids View Post
Not all religions are concerned with how the earth started. Buddhism isn't really focused with that question. If anything Batman is Jesus and DC is God. Jediism is a religion to some people, even if you do think it's false. So it could be. Batman could be up there looking over us all. Maybe God is just in hiding right now.
Buddhism, to my mind, and not my mind alone, is a philosophy. Not a religion. And as some Buddhist would say, that is a compliment.

- Carl Sagan
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 6th 2012, 07:15 PM

Oh, and Batman isn't watching over us, their website says nothing about it. At least, not.to my knowledge. Then again, I didn't watch the open air preacher.

- Carl Sagan
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 6th 2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Mike and Men View Post
Buddhism, to my mind, and not my mind alone, is a philosophy. Not a religion. And as some Buddhist would say, that is a compliment.
I'd have to agree there. I'm not really sure why it's classed as a religion. (that's just my opinion)

My last comment was just tongue in cheek

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 8th 2012, 04:50 PM

Validity in the field of religion is always a prickly topic at the best of times, if for no other reason than what constitutes "validity" in terms of a belief is highly subjective. Even concepts in which one would assume there is some certainly, such as fairness and justice, you have a whole smorgasbord of different perspectives and opinions on what is "fair" or what is "just". As such, I tend to avoid questions like this like the plague. If we take the broadest possible definition of religion, for which I would say any system of beliefs or philosophies with a spiritual element, then provided there is some form of spirituality involved in proceedings then it could legitimately be viewed as a religion. How one incorporates such spirituality into the story of an orphaned martial arts expert and vigilante beating up criminals in a fictional city, on the other hand, is something I'm not too sure about...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Points: 12,494, Level: 16 Points: 12,494, Level: 16 Points: 12,494, Level: 16

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 8th 2012, 06:46 PM

A couple of years ago, Jedi was excepted as a valid religion.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 8th 2012, 07:39 PM

The Jedi beliefs were accepted as a valid religion by whom? To my knowledge, there is no comity that validates a religion. Religions just all have a central theme to them. However, Jediism would, to my mind, more valid. Why? On the Jedi Church website it says they essentially believe in the supernatural (as anyone familiarized with Star Wars would know). Batman, on the other hand, is a human, never claimed to be supernatural, and only used gadgets for his powers. For Batmanism to even be considered a valid religion, I think, it would have to have incorporated some sort of supernatural belief.

- Carl Sagan
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 9th 2012, 10:43 PM

Of Mike and Men: It was allowed as an answer on the US census a few years back.

It's not a true religion meant to belittle true religious beliefs by being completely ridiculous with the sole intention of then saying:
"It's no more ridiculous than Christianity/Judaism/Whatever! Ha Ha Ha."

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/cm-punk-is-not-impressed

Take that as you will.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 9th 2012, 11:44 PM

Okay, thanks. Was just wondering because it seemed pulled out of thin air. Regardless, Jediism would be valid in my sight, regardless.

- Carl Sagan
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Points: 13,420, Level: 16 Points: 13,420, Level: 16 Points: 13,420, Level: 16

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 9th 2012, 11:52 PM

Sounds like a poor knockoff of the FSM. I worship thee's noodly appendage, FSM!
Closed Thread