TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Yuriy345 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,506, Level: 9 Points: 4,506, Level: 9 Points: 4,506, Level: 9

Question Religion Problem - January 18th 2016, 06:23 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Im Athiest now but no one knows except my best friend . Should i tell my my parents and how can i react to being descriminated for my choice
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Religion Problem - January 19th 2016, 05:02 PM

I always think its a better idea to wait until you're an adult to reveal things like this (being gay, atheism) because at 15, you can't trust everyone around you to take you seriously, including your parents. They'll just say, "its a phase". When you are an adult, people will respect your viewpoints more regardless of what they are. Also, you'll have more years to back up your assertion of being an atheist, so they can't say its a phase.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LifeTheRonWay Offline
I live to serve
Average Joe

Name: Ron

Points: 9,996, Level: 14 Points: 9,996, Level: 14 Points: 9,996, Level: 14

Re: Religion Problem - January 20th 2016, 08:25 PM

Hey there,

I can't tell you if you should tell your parents or not because I don't know them. How do you think they would react to that kind of news? Are they very religious people?
I have never been the type of person to volunteer information. If asked I'm glad to tell the truth or give my honest opinion,but I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping your beliefs to yourself until then. Unless you're planning on trying to convert them and everyone to agnosticism or having a discussion about it I think spirituality is irrelevant

- Ron

Revenge is a poison meant for others that we end up swallowing ourselves.
Vengeance is a dark light that blinds all who seek it.
The untroubled soul knows there is no justice in revenge.
The untroubled soul knows that to seek vengeance, is to seek destruction.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: Religion Problem - January 21st 2016, 01:30 PM

If you want to tell them, try and do it in a calm situation. If you think they'll react negatively, perhaps write it in a letter.
However, if you think there's any risk to you from their reaction it might be better to wait until you're an adult and move out, because then if they do react negatively you are in a better position to look after yourself.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Religion Problem - January 22nd 2016, 04:20 AM

I don't think there's a reason to tell your parents. It's one thing if you're being oppressed, but a lot of times avoiding he topic is best to avoid conflict since everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It really boils down to how religious your family is and how tolerant they are. Personally, I'd keep it to myself. Especially in my teenage years. In fact, I did. You're still developing a sense of who you are, and your own philosophies and religion. It's all subject to drastic change. I'd wait to bring it up. I'd also look into some support groups at your school for freedom from religion. It may help you find others to associate with that you can open up to, assuming you're from the states.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
Closed Thread