TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
rockerbabe12292 Offline
The One and Only
Average Joe

Name: Jocie Oeser

Points: 11,346, Level: 15 Points: 11,346, Level: 15 Points: 11,346, Level: 15

meh, religion. . .its a bit long, but read it for me. - March 13th 2009, 07:48 PM

when i was young i used to be very christian, most children that grow up in a christian home are. when i got older and started learning about different religions in school i realized that all these religions started basically the same way. they all had books or texts that told them what to believe in, they had a god, goddess, or some form of higher divine power, and it made me think. how was i supposed to know which one is right and which one is wrong? each religion says that you're supposed to believe in that one and the other are wrong. since then i've had growing doubt to the point that i dont believe in anything anymore. sometimes i think religion was just created to give people hope and something to live for, and a reason not to kill yourself. I want to believe in something. I want to have strong faith in something, and know that it exists and more or less have something like that to live for. but im the type of person that requires proof, i never believed in santa when i was a child either. perhaps someone could help me find my faith. . .in something. i dont know how you're supposed to respond to this, but some advice and insight would help, maybe some personal experiences. thanx a bunch.

RIP JESSIE, JACK, & DAVID <3

CJM <3 UNTIL THE END OF TIME

<3 JOCIE

http://www.theblogofjocie.blogspot.com
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I've been here a while

Name: Basil!!!

Points: 17,727, Level: 19 Points: 17,727, Level: 19 Points: 17,727, Level: 19

Re: meh, religion. . .its a bit long, but read it for me. - March 13th 2009, 09:01 PM

Firstly, don't listen to any posters begging you to "take the right path and regain your faith in God". You've already realised that religion is pretty much fictitious.

I think this is a serious problem for atheists, as people have lived with religion practically forever and don't know how to live without. Luckily I was reared an atheist so most of my problems were sorted out in childhood, but I still sorta feel the way you do.

Philosophy might help you, science might help you, but this is a journey you have to take yourself (Jesus in the desert? Yep had those journeys before, both physically and philosophically...).

And you will come up with your own answer, and realise that what is missing from the atheist life is LOVE.

But you've got some way to go before you fully accept your choice of vantage-point (because that's all religion really is). Good luck until then.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
swimmer92 Offline
Average Joe

Name: KP

Points: 10,851, Level: 15 Points: 10,851, Level: 15 Points: 10,851, Level: 15

Re: meh, religion. . .its a bit long, but read it for me. - March 13th 2009, 09:37 PM

I used to think that way. And I know you grew up as a christian and so did I. And I got into many drugs and SH and I thought there was no such thing as God. You dont have to believe me or anything, im just telling you I have no choice to not believe in the Lord, I reached out for him and he turned my life around in 2 days. And ive seen so many people healed, including me. I was released from drug addictions without withdrawls or a relapse. I had a desire to die one day, the next day I loved life. You might not believe this stuff and many people will try to argue this but im just trying to help and share my personal expierence.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rican Roll Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 10,216, Level: 14 Points: 10,216, Level: 14 Points: 10,216, Level: 14

Re: meh, religion. . .its a bit long, but read it for me. - March 14th 2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer92 View Post
I used to think that way. And I know you grew up as a christian and so did I. And I got into many drugs and SH and I thought there was no such thing as God. You dont have to believe me or anything, im just telling you I have no choice to not believe in the Lord, I reached out for him and he turned my life around in 2 days. And ive seen so many people healed, including me. I was released from drug addictions without withdrawls or a relapse. I had a desire to die one day, the next day I loved life. You might not believe this stuff and many people will try to argue this but im just trying to help and share my personal expierence.
The TC just specifically stated she's looking for something with solid proof behind it to believe in and that she is a former Christian and she no longer identifies as one, so I really do not think she was looking for someone to push her back onto that road.

The TC is asking for alternatives, which a few good ones have been mentioned.

My suggestion is you simply value yourself and your own life and existence and take it from there. Life is an absolutely amazing experience and there are unlimited possibilities, go out there and live.

Your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23

Re: meh, religion. . .its a bit long, but read it for me. - March 14th 2009, 01:08 AM

It's one of the reasons I think religion is fictitious.
Nobody needs guidance on all the major details of their lives, forge your own morals and values and live by them
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17

Re: meh, religion. . .its a bit long, but read it for me. - March 14th 2009, 03:51 AM

Hey Jocie. I kind of have a similar situation. I was very into Christianity until I did my own investigating and came up with my own ways of thinking.

You do not need faith in a supernatural being to do good things for yourself and for other people. Do some serious thinking about what defines you. Establish your own morals, and make sure there is solid reasoning behind those morals. And most importantly: Live! This life might be all the time we get, so enjoy it while you can.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
...Curt Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Curt

Points: 11,190, Level: 15 Points: 11,190, Level: 15 Points: 11,190, Level: 15

Re: meh, religion. . .its a bit long, but read it for me. - March 14th 2009, 04:10 AM

I think some people are afraid to let go of religion for the same reasons you said... some need it to get by, some don't.

One of the stigma's with religion is that if you don't have religion or God in your life, you will never find meaning or happiness. I don't think this is true at all.

Like others above me said, you just need to value yourself and life and take it from there. Find your own meaning and beliefs.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
rockerbabe12292 Offline
The One and Only
Average Joe

Name: Jocie Oeser

Points: 11,346, Level: 15 Points: 11,346, Level: 15 Points: 11,346, Level: 15

Re: meh, religion. . .its a bit long, but read it for me. - March 14th 2009, 08:26 PM

thanx for everyones advice. i've been living by my own morals and picking out different aspects of religion that i believe to be true and others i throw out lol, and so far thats been fine for me, i just hate not knowing what happens after death and that scares me. perhaps thats why i need something to look forward to after death. idk what im looking for really. but thanx anyways for your advice and input, i appreciate it.

RIP JESSIE, JACK, & DAVID <3

CJM <3 UNTIL THE END OF TIME

<3 JOCIE

http://www.theblogofjocie.blogspot.com
Closed Thread