TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Expression Poems, stories, artwork and similar creations are great ways to let out your thoughts or feelings. Please share your work with us here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 10th 2016, 05:21 PM

My personal opinion is that children doing coloring books can be problematic.

But I also read articles that for adults it can be beneficial because it lowers stress and teaches you mindfulness and is not cognitively demanding.

Anyone tried adult coloring books?
My college would have the wellness office for stress free time before finals. They had play dough and coloring pages and snacks and messages. They stopped doing it probably because of budget cuts. Now they have a really strained, more stressful than reducing stress version of puppy therapy.
I've always enjoyed their stress-free zone. I was sad when they took it out and discontinued doing it

The other thing is that coloring books are marketed as "art therapy" and that's simply not true. This is not a form of professional help. So the name is misleading. However, non-art therapy mental health professionals like school counselors and talk therapists might implement therapeutic art activities and also perpetuate the misleading name, calling what they do as art therapy.
So I have to keep in mind that this isn't a form of therapy. This is supposed to just be a cool fun thing to do.
So as someone who is looking for hobbies to get into. I know what I like and don't like and art-making is one of the things I like to do.
I can make my own art from scratch but I am thinking of using coloring books as maybe a warm up exercise?
Is that counter-intuitive.
Wondering what your experiences are. How were you feeling before, and how did you feel after?
What was your motivation to try coloring? De-stress, relax, do creative work,just for fun, or something else?

Thank you
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 10th 2016, 06:11 PM

Honestly, I think you're putting too much thought into it. It's meant to be fun and relaxing. I don't see the harm in trying it if you want; and anything to get a child away from a device I say is worth it. No, it's not "art therapy", but it can be therapeutic and some professionals may suggest it to someone to try, but every professional has to be extremely careful when describing what they do and don't do. Most non-art professional therapists who do this would not call it art therapy. There are a lot of twisted truths and blatant lies in the marketing of pretty much everything anyway.

I love the "stained glass" ones which are basically translucent pages, but I use markers and end up making a mess. I'm not sure what else would work on them though. It's actually a lot cheaper to get the ones for kids. The industry has realized they can make money on it and have taken advantage.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,912, Level: 37 Points: 67,912, Level: 37 Points: 67,912, Level: 37

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 10th 2016, 06:18 PM

i own like over 100 of these 'art therapy' colouring books. i see them as colouring books. with more intricate detialed pictures than some of the childrens colouring books, i love them and could colour for ages if allowed.... there is benefits to it like you can forget the world for abit and zone out and not to have think about any stresses etc so in that sense i can see why they call it 'art therapy' its self help.. or a hobbie but either way if it reduces stress its not a bad thing.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Points: 10,960, Level: 15 Points: 10,960, Level: 15 Points: 10,960, Level: 15

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 10th 2016, 06:28 PM

Hey
Coloring books are pretty cool!
I used to do them a lot last year and have recently gotten back into them.
I only do them when I'm stressed and starting to over think cause while coloring I usually don't think about anything and when I stop I'm still stressed but a lot calmer, and as long as I'm calm I usually can handle stuff. So my motivation behind doing them is probably preventing panic and stuff
Originaly I got into them because of therapy. There we had to paint and stuff and since I realiced it actually helped I bought some coloring books since its easier than doing something from scratch (I'm not much of an artist).
So I'd say, try them! Thei re amazing!

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
I've been here a while

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 12th 2016, 04:33 AM

Thank you all of you for your input. I'm still hesitating (probably a sign that I need to relax) but yeah... I appreciate it
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 12th 2016, 02:25 PM

I have a lot of coloring books. I don't do it as often as I should, but I want to slowly get back into it. Reason for this is that sometimes I get so anxious I can't sit still to color. Sometimes I get stressed out about my color scheme. Leave it to me to take something relaxing and make it stressful.

I've heard of some people doing it at night to calm down before they fall asleep, in effort to prevent nightmares. They're a good distraction because you can kind of get lost in them.

I think you should give it a try. If you just want to dip your toes in, you can go to the dollar store and get a book or two there. Those books are short and small so you can get an idea of whether or not you like it. You could also try word searches, Sudoku, or crossword puzzles if that will help.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 12th 2016, 06:00 PM

I used colouring as many ways, one of which I coloured during DBT or in groups, it helped me stay focused and not drift into really bad feelings. I haven't coloured much lately but I will soon.

I use other form of art like sewing. I find it helps to be focused but I can't do for long periods of time.

I do have play-doh where something my hands do, keep my mind busy. To me its about coping and managing emotions, something to do if nothing else has worked.

If your unsure if you want to do the colouring you can always do something else, maybe drawing, doing crafts, beading, sewing, etc., which can also be helpful. Start small and see how you feel about but if you don't like it you can always try something different.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 12th 2016, 08:54 PM

I have a number of coloring books and I enjoy it. I don't do it often because, like Cassado, I get weird about color scheme and then it becomes more of a chore. However, I do find it relaxing when I am not worrying about color scheme.

I get them pretty cheap off of amazon but if you are unsure about taking it up I second looking at the dollar store. You can't beat paying a dollar for something.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
virtualprincess Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,787, Level: 9 Points: 3,787, Level: 9 Points: 3,787, Level: 9

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 16th 2016, 12:48 AM

i really like coloring book, i even install some adult coloring book apps on my smartphone and complete them when i have spare time. it helps me pay attention to detail.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 17th 2016, 05:33 PM

I find that the adult colouring books tend to stress me out more than I was when I started. So I started to do puzzles, children's colouring books, and recently I got a new pen pal .

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)

Last edited by .Brittany.; December 17th 2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Adding more
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 17th 2016, 06:48 PM

I like the adult colouring books. I have 3. I need to use them more. I've been thinking about painting some of mine.

It's obviously not "real" art therapy because I think that art therapy needs to be a guided thing that'll address a persons trauma/ experiences/ etc. But I do think it is a good self-care thing that can be very therapeutic to the right person who's likes it.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
I've been here a while

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 27th 2016, 04:36 PM

Thank you everyone. I saw the local store have some but Im also gonna look into what was suggested like Sudoku and word searches etc (crosswords frustrate me so much though!) Right now money is right but maybe in a month when things have settled I will look into the ideas as well as revisit the adult coloring book idea xD
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - January 3rd 2017, 12:15 PM

I'm sorry for the late reply. But I think adult coloring books can be stressful rather than helpful. There's no set guide or rules to them, and I need that when I do an activity. I know it may seem silly and childish, but I feel like there's a right and wrong to everything, and that includes something creative like coloring. Plus, all the design are so intricate, and that's really hard for me to work with. I've tried doing adult coloring books and haven't been very successful.

Just my two cents.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
obelus Offline
divided yet whole

I've been here a while

Name: Oliver
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - January 3rd 2017, 01:11 PM

Also, since you said you were interested, there's a ton of free things online you could utilize until you are able to buy something. There's plenty of free coloring pages and puzzles that you could print out! Plus free apps that you could download if you have a capable device. You could also consider some free games. I know sometimes I revert to my inner 10 year old and play some old Disney games.

Just explore some things to see what works best for you. I know personally I prefer miniature adult coloring books over full sized ones because they are less stressful, but it might be different for you. Try some things online. I could probably help find some things if you have any trouble searching. Have fun with it and use it as an escape.

“Peace is power”
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: adult coloring books yeah or nah? - January 3rd 2017, 03:54 PM

I know I don't mind using them but I have to be in the right mood (i.e. not stressed or anything and it has to be purely for fun because otherwise I get more stressed if I mess up )

I think it really depends, I know some people who love them and others who don't like them. My one sister thinks they work amazing and my other sister can't do it because she gets agitated over the colours and if she messes up. I think they're worth a try but you can always print some out and try them before spending the money. Another place to look is your local library. I know the one I volunteer at has them and people are able to pay 10 cents and photo copy the pages they want. There also might be adult colouring book nights/events/clubs which you could check out (they're free where I am) and the supplies are provided (including the colouring pages!)

I know not all libraries do it, but one here (not the one I volunteer at but a different one) has this thing where you can borrow the colouring book four two weeks, colour 1-2 pages of it and sign it before returning it and borrowing a different one.
Closed Thread