TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Neurodiversity This forum is for everything about neurodiversity, such as autism, ADHD or dyslexia - talk about here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Executive dysfunction - April 27th 2021, 08:15 PM

I was wondering if anyone here experiences executive dysfunction on a regular basis. I have so much trouble with it. I just can't find the motivation to do things. It's so difficult to complete tasks, but then I feel ashamed and mad at myself for not completing tasks, so it turns into a spiral of self-loathing. It usually never ends well, but I am trying to pull out of these spirals as they happen, or better yet, have them not happen at all. Does anyone have any suggestions to deal with this problem?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Executive dysfunction - April 27th 2021, 11:06 PM

Hey Eli,

I do not talk about it often but I struggle with this. Two of the things I struggle with most are cleaning and cooking. My house used to be quite a mess but my husband and I recently had to clean it. Cooking is still difficult and I still do a lot of frozen meals. I have noticed that cooking is easier when I am no longer depressed or anxious. I was doing the meal deliveries and that was good and helped give me some good meals to cook, however, I fell into a deep state of anxiety and was not cooking.

Have you found anything to be helpful in overcoming this? I know some people say do a little at a time and I think that is a good idea however, that can seem overwhelming when the house is messy or what have you. It might help to have someone close to you help support you, periodically. I know having support from my husband with cleaning helps quite a bit.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Executive dysfunction - April 30th 2021, 10:18 PM

I personally don't struggle with this but my boyfriend has ADHD and it's common for those with ADHD to struggle with executive dysfunction.

The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris is a great book to introduce ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) principles into your life. It's aimed at depression/anxiety but ACT is also effective for ADHD and executive dysfunction. I gifted this to my boyfriend last year, he's not typically a reader but he blew through it in no time and said that it helped make sense of a lot of the feelings he had about a lot of his struggles, especially with executive dysfunction, and the resulting self-loathing.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
Closed Thread