TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Home Life, Raising Kids and Managing Money This forum is for support and questions about family life, such as paying bills, DIY, caring for others or even planning for a wedding!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Staff On Leave

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 34,042, Level: 26 Points: 34,042, Level: 26 Points: 34,042, Level: 26

Home improvement, or DIY projects! - April 4th 2022, 04:38 PM

Lets talk home improvement or DIY projects!

Have you ever been part of a home improvement project? What did you work on?

What kind of things have you done to your space to improve it? Even if its just a decorating job you are proud of!

Do you have any advice about doing such things?

I'll share some stories later

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Home improvement, or DIY projects! - April 4th 2022, 05:29 PM

Home renovation is pretty much on my bucket list. Thank you, HGTV! Thank you Chip&Jo and Erin&Ben! <3

But seriously, I've done furniture rearrangements; kind of trying to figure out the various puzzle pieces that works best for me. A few months ago, I moved a chocolate-brown sofa over next to the stand where my TV used to be, moved two end tables and my couch further into the room towards the back wall, so my couch is aligned with a poster I have on my wall.

That's one example.

But other than that, nothing major. Nothing that requires hammers, screwdrivers, drills, paint, drywall, etc etc etc. I'd love to, though!

(Unless we're talking about a wonky TP holder)
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Staff On Leave

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Points: 34,042, Level: 26 Points: 34,042, Level: 26 Points: 34,042, Level: 26

Re: Home improvement, or DIY projects! - April 10th 2022, 08:00 PM

Finally getting a chance to share.

First project was more home repair. Whoever installed the gutters on the back of my house were either idiots, or lazy. And it led to water soaking into the fascia board (The board that you install gutters today) and completely rotting. We had birds flying into the hole it created. So we took a weekend to pull that board and a couple others down, and replacing it all.

Second project could have been a simple repair, but we decided to completely renovate the room while there. I have a small room I use to store my clothing, and while walking out of it a hole kinda formed. And once again, idiots built that room. And instead of just fixing the hole, and finding replacement linoleum tiles. We fixed the hole, and installed laminate flooring planks. Painted the room, and added a bit of molding to finish it up. Learned a lot with that one. Also went to the hardware store a LOT. But I'm pretty proud of how it turned out.

In the future I want to replace the floor in our upstairs bathroom, but I am in no hurry.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Home improvement, or DIY projects! - April 12th 2022, 03:06 AM

OMG Sarah do you live in a house built by the same people who built mine? Our gutters are like that, too! Very rotted. I went up to clean them and my finger went through the fascia...and then the gutters fell. I think ours are beyond fixing ourselves though.

DIYs/home improvements can be really fun, and you definitely learn a lot in the process. Did you take before and after photos? You should, in the future, if you think about it. They are cool to look back on.

I was younger when my parents did that stuff but I enjoy doing it now. I've done plumbing (that's a pain though), sanding and painting, drywalling (and prepping drywall to paint). Recently I did (had help) my closet to be more efficient.

I like yard work, too but that tends to take a lot of time. Cleaning the shed is next on my to-do list.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Home improvement, or DIY projects! - May 4th 2022, 10:11 AM

I've mostly done just rearranging furniture. My current project is trying to organise my tiny wardrobe. I'd love to build some shelves/units inside it but that's too advanced for me so I might just buy a cheap plastic unit to sit inside and store out of season clothes.

I wish we could do more DIY. When my dad was alive and well, this house was his project. He did so much work on it. Moved a bathroom from one side of the house to the other, changed the water pipes (think they were lead?), and even did some electrical work too (made sure that they met the regulations at the time). He's also fitted laminate flooring, made a little cupboard under the stairs and plastered and painted the walls and done a little bit of tiling too. I was young at the time but did help out with things like taking wall paper off and cleaning. Outside of the house he has helped build garden walls too.

These days we tend to get builders in to do the work but so far none of have lived up to my dad's standards. I would love to take over though!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: Home improvement, or DIY projects! - May 5th 2022, 09:52 PM

In the kitchen the cupboard for cups it's this thin tall shelf for cups. It's ridiculous for cups, and depending on the size of your cups you can only fit 4 or 6 per shelf, there's only 2 shelves. One of the shelves I can't remove to adjust the height.

I bought floating shelves on Amazon for cups with hooks to hang cups. The two shelves are above the sink. Allows me more room and it looks better.

I've added three different sized floating shelves in the living area to make the space more cozy. I utilize the walls with floating shelves for space and storage.

I rent an apartment, I can't alter or change things, I am allowed to put things on the walls as long as I take it down when I move.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread