TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Period Stories? - April 23rd 2013, 10:51 PM

Sorry if there's already a thread on it.

When I got my first period, I was on vacation at the beach with my aunt, uncle, and cousins. My immediate family wasn't around. Needless to say, that was interesting. I was twelve then. Surprisingly, I don't really have any embarrassing stories.

Except for maybe this one. When we were in seventh grade, my friend had bled through during gym so we skipped class. When we got caught, we ran away from our teacher. We ended up emailing him to tell him what happened. I couldn't look at him in the face after that.

That same day, my friend bled through again. The nurse didn't give her any underwear (why?) and she got blood all over the chair in the science lab. We were going to tell my teacher, but just as I was about to my friend took a sponge from the sink, put soap on it and cleaned the chair really quickly. Luckily we were the last class.

Your turn!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,984, Level: 26 Points: 33,984, Level: 26 Points: 33,984, Level: 26

Re: Period Stories? - April 23rd 2013, 11:22 PM

The number of stories I have is completely ridiculous.

My first period started when I was 11 and a half, 2 days before Christmas and I was visiting with my dad (parents are divorced) and we were staying at my great-aunt's house. I hid it for 2 days, then played dumb when I got home and told my mom the whole story after he left. I still think that was better than having to tell him so he could get me supplies, the whole concept still freaks him out.

After that I seemed to get it EVERY TIME I was with my dad whether it was due or not and it was completely unpredictable, so I was with him again (this time out of state) and I hadn't thought to bring anything because it wasn't due for another week, well it started and I couldn't find my stepmom's supplies so I had to tell my dad when he got home by which point I had bled through my pants and all the underwear I had packed. My stepmom left them soaking in the laundry tub which meant that anyone who came in the house through the garage had to walk by and see that and then my dad had to take me shopping for underwear (embarrassing enough) with my 12 year old step brother in tow. At least my stepmom gave me enough supplies to last me until I went home which was only a couple of days, but it was HORRIBLE

After that I carried pads in my suitcase when I was with him, no matter when it was supposed to come and 9 times out of 10 I ended up needing them. I even rescued his cousin once when hers started and she didn't know it had. I had just enough extra to give her.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Period Stories? - April 23rd 2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
The number of stories I have is completely ridiculous.

My first period started when I was 11 and a half, 2 days before Christmas and I was visiting with my dad (parents are divorced) and we were staying at my great-aunt's house. I hid it for 2 days, then played dumb when I got home and told my mom the whole story after he left. I still think that was better than having to tell him so he could get me supplies, the whole concept still freaks him out.

After that I seemed to get it EVERY TIME I was with my dad whether it was due or not and it was completely unpredictable, so I was with him again (this time out of state) and I hadn't thought to bring anything because it wasn't due for another week, well it started and I couldn't find my stepmom's supplies so I had to tell my dad when he got home by which point I had bled through my pants and all the underwear I had packed. My stepmom left them soaking in the laundry tub which meant that anyone who came in the house through the garage had to walk by and see that and then my dad had to take me shopping for underwear (embarrassing enough) with my 12 year old step brother in tow. At least my stepmom gave me enough supplies to last me until I went home which was only a couple of days, but it was HORRIBLE

After that I carried pads in my suitcase when I was with him, no matter when it was supposed to come and 9 times out of 10 I ended up needing them. I even rescued his cousin once when hers started and she didn't know it had. I had just enough extra to give her.
Wow, that must of sucked. I don't know why some guys are so creeped out by it! Half of the population has it!

The other day, my mom was talking about pads she got with a coupon, and my dad says, "Ooooh, look at the pretty bird outside."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,797, Level: 59 Points: 172,797, Level: 59 Points: 172,797, Level: 59

Re: Period Stories? - April 23rd 2013, 11:52 PM

I don't think I have too many embarrassing stories! Only one really! My dad would always go out and get my mom pads and my sister's in her twenties now so he's probably used to it, so the whole guy thing doesn't apply as much to me. My friends and I have also fully talked about our periods around our guy friend and it only made things a bit awkward for him since he can't relate, but he wasn't skeeved out or anything.

In the seventh grade my period was kind of irregular so I didn't expect to be getting it when I did. I got it at the very end of math class but our substitute teacher was a male so I basically just sat there with it until gym class next period. I put my laptop in their storage cases and approached my teacher, and it was the most embarrassing thing in the world. I was basically saying how I had to go to the nurse because I got my period and should call my mom or something for new underwear because I didn't feel overly comfortable changing with bloody underwear. It was really awkward but she sent me so I got a pad, didn't get new underwear or anything but I changed in one of the bathroom stalls so nobody would see me. Then afterwards she asked me if I was all right.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Period Stories? - April 26th 2013, 11:03 AM

Started when I was on a school trip with my two best friends and a group of make teachers. Adventure trip. We had to climb and shiz.

Toilet paper guys

Take as long as you need.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: Period Stories? - April 26th 2013, 02:05 PM

I feel a little weird saying my embarassing story but I'll say it anyways

I was in sixth grade in an all girls school. We had a lady come once every two weeks to speak to the class about various issues in puberty. It wasn't really a class though, and we didn't really get graded or anything so students laughed openly a lot and made jokes about the things the lady was lecturing about.

The same day the lady was talking about periods was my first day getting it. And it was so heavy! She was saying that it's okay to ask a teacher to be excused and tell them it's an emergency or it's a girl thing because they'll understand. I immediately recognized that this is what was happening to me at the same moment. I half had the urge to raise my hand at that moment and ask to go to the bathroom but I couldn't get myself to do it because I didn't know how to deal with it. It was my first time hearing about it. My older sister had it but all I knew was the cramps. Then after that lesson we went to have snack time. My uniform skirt was all bloody and stuff so I made sure to be the last one on line but then I was leaning against the radiator and some of the blood went on it and it showed because the radiator was painted white. After that I got off the line and went to sit at the table, I had too painful cramps to eat anything.
I felt so bad about myself from this. Sigh. We didn't have a school nurse and I wasn't friends with any of my classmates to even ask for them for a pad. I didn't even know who had theirs yet, most didn't though but they knew what it was so maybe they could've helped me, idk. I stayed like that till the end of the day, 4:00 pm. Luckily though it only got heavy towards the middle of the school day. One of the most embarassing moments.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Period Stories? - April 26th 2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin. View Post
Started when I was on a school trip with my two best friends and a group of make teachers. Adventure trip. We had to climb and shiz.

Toilet paper guys
You know, some of my friends used it to scare male teachers off. :: If they were late they'd give some euphemism for having their period and he'd never question them again! I never had the guts to do that though.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,726, Level: 39 Points: 74,726, Level: 39 Points: 74,726, Level: 39

Re: Period Stories? - April 26th 2013, 02:34 PM

I don't really have any embarrassing stories about when I started, I just know it freaked me and I had to shout for my mum because I panicked that I was bleeding from areas that I'm not used to bleeding from. I knew what it was but, I was 11 and I was scared.

I remember coming on was embarrassing once though. I'd gone to the isle of wight with my family for the day and hadn't planned on starting. I Was wearing grey trousers and had no pads with me so I had to go to the bathroom with a towel around my waist and change into some shorts and use toilet paper for the day.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25

Re: Period Stories? - April 26th 2013, 04:24 PM

I started my period when I was 10 and I remember talking to a teacher about it as we didn't have any bins in our toilets, and she didn't believe me. Neither did any of my friends. So my mum had to come into school to talk to the teacher, and everyone in my class heard the conversation, so I was known as 'period girl'. No one in my year had started theirs yet, and most of them didn't even know what one was anyway!!! I had to use the teachers toilets and the teachers that didn't know used to have a go at me for it. Trying to explain was always so embarrassing.

Also, when I was 11, we were at a water park in Spain. And guess what? My period came. How on earth can you hide something like this when nothing was available, nobody had supplies and I was terrified of using tampons. I was just wearing a swimming costume and queueng up for a water slide and blood ended up going down my leg. So many people saw... Luckily it wasn't too heavy, but it was noticeable, I had to hide in the toilets for the rest of the day
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,387, Level: 11 Points: 6,387, Level: 11 Points: 6,387, Level: 11

Re: Period Stories? - May 2nd 2013, 11:25 PM

Well, this happened today. Yesterday I started my period & ask my brother to take me to the store and buy me tampons. So we went to Wal-Mart. Then this morning I was in a HUGE rush its was 7:40, and thats what time my bus comes. (I forgot we were taking the car to school lol) So I showered, I had noticed that I forgot to take out my tampon! I was bleeding & very heavy blood too. I quickly came into my room and removed it because my stepmom was in the bathroom and my brother was in the other one. I didn't know where to put it! So I grabbed a beef jerky bad and tossed it in there! I was going to throw it away. /: Until I realized I was already super late. Today my brother went into my room and opened the bag! I turned red and he awkwardly gagged, then walked out! What do I do!?
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Period Stories? - May 2nd 2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyfoshizzy9090 View Post
Well, this happened today. Yesterday I started my period & ask my brother to take me to the store and buy me tampons. So we went to Wal-Mart. Then this morning I was in a HUGE rush its was 7:40, and thats what time my bus comes. (I forgot we were taking the car to school lol) So I showered, I had noticed that I forgot to take out my tampon! I was bleeding & very heavy blood too. I quickly came into my room and removed it because my stepmom was in the bathroom and my brother was in the other one. I didn't know where to put it! So I grabbed a beef jerky bad and tossed it in there! I was going to throw it away. /: Until I realized I was already super late. Today my brother went into my room and opened the bag! I turned red and he awkwardly gagged, then walked out! What do I do!?
Hi there

to TeenHelp!

Well, how old is your brother? If he took you to the store to buy tampons, then he seems pretty mature. He knows that it's a natural thing, but I'm sure he's wondering why there was a tampon in a beef jerky bag! In this situation, you can just let it go and let him eventually forget, or you can tell him why you put a tampon in the bag - but that might be even more awkward.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Hailey

Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18

Re: Period Stories? - May 2nd 2013, 11:52 PM

I happened to get my period on the one weekend when my mom was out of town. I was 11. My mom was visiting a friend several hours away, so my dad and my little brother (eight at the time) were the only ones home, and I was staying the weekend at my grandma's house about 2 minutes away (just for fun). I practically had a panic attack when I went to the bathroom and realized that I was bleeding...probably mainly because I thought I was bleeding from the other "down there," haha. I didn't even occur to me for a couple of hours that I'd gotten my period, so basically I just kept going to the bathroom like every 5 or 10 minutes and praying that it would stop. Eventually I figured out that it was my period (I couldn't believe that was happening to me! I was completely terrified) and went into one of the bedrooms in my grandma's house and called my mom with the door closed. I was totally mortified and scared to death (poor little 11-year-old me) and I was crying for the entire phone call. I didn't know how to tell my grandma or my dad or my little brother, so my mom called them for me and told them that I'd gotten my period. My grandma tried to make me feel all grown up and stuff, but I was sooooo embarrassed! I ended up deciding to go home, and my dad and my brother came to pick me up, which was really awkward because they both knew what had happened. The rest of that day I basically hid in my room and sulked and tried not to look anyone in the eye.
I ended up going back to my grandma's house the next day and basically acted like nothing had happened, and then I actually went to soccer practice that night (of course the first day of soccer had to be the day after I got my period). So while it took me forever to get over the mortification of the whole thing, it all ended up okay.

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13
Closed Thread