TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Suddenly getting my period again on the implant. - March 10th 2018, 02:56 AM

I’ve been on the implant for about a year and a half and before that was on the shot. I lost my period and hadn’t had it for about two years. Then suddenly I got one in January. And again now.
I know not everyone loses their period on the implant but why would I have lost it for so long just to get it back?
My gynecologist said that if it keeps happening to call her so I might if I get my period a third time. But I don’t think there’s anything she can do besides change my birth control but I’m out of options I think besides the IUD and I’m kind of scared of it. My mom won’t allow me to have the IUD. I may be 21 but I’m under my parents’ insurance and don’t really have access to a gynecologist without them due to no license. Plus I have pain with inserting a simple tampon let alone getting an IUD.

Has anyone else lost their period on the implant only to get it back? What did you do?

Even if you haven’t had this experience but have advice I’ll take it.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Suddenly getting my period again on the implant. - March 10th 2018, 11:41 AM

I have Pcos and have the implant my doctor said I may not get my period and it's okay. I got my period twice on it but months apart. I am honestly not sure what causes it. But I do know your supposed to get it replaced every two years so even though it been a year in a half maybe you need it replaced I would go talk to the doctor that put in it. I think that is the best bet.

I hope this has helped
Your Friend,
Frankie<3
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Suddenly getting my period again on the implant. - March 10th 2018, 12:23 PM

I’d had it checked when I went for my exam and she said it’s fine in terms of placement etc and to calm her if it keeps happening. When I originally got it put in they told me it’s good for 3 years and some friends with newer ones say theirs are now good for 4.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Suddenly getting my period again on the implant. - March 10th 2018, 03:40 PM

They are supposed to be good for three years. That's one of the reasons I looked into them. I have heard that occasionally when the implant gets older and needs to be replaced it can cause period's. I don't know why yours would need replacing if it isn't even two years. I've heard a few stories that people had to get them replaced a bit early but I don't think it's common?

That being said, I know some people have experienced irregular periods with their implant. I actually watched a video about someone who shared their story and they had no period for the first six months and than started bleeding a lot. She eventually went off it but that might not be what you need to do, you know?

I know you know that but birth control does impact everyone differently so the two random periods might be a fluke. You might not experience one again and if you do it might not automatically mean you have to switch. I honestly hate hearing this but if you get your period again call her, make note of how heavy/light it is and go from there. She will have the answers that are best for you because people do face issues with irregular bleeding on the implant. Your doctor will be able to determine if the irregularity is an issue with the method and if you need something new or if it's just a fluke and the BC is still working.

I know it's crappy and I know that running low on options is scary but take it day by day. I wish I had better advice to give because I know it helps to get an answer of some kind.

Here if you need anything.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Suddenly getting my period again on the implant. - March 10th 2018, 04:03 PM

No, it definitely does help, especially to hear that it's more common than I thought for it to change your period one way and then for it to revert back.

It's light, so it's not really an issue of it being terrible, but it's just annoying as I'm not expecting them and also because I don't want them at all. I am getting more breast pain before my period though, and I haven't experienced that since middle school.

'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread