TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KatNap Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kat

Points: 8,954, Level: 13 Points: 8,954, Level: 13 Points: 8,954, Level: 13

Why do I have my period? - January 23rd 2012, 01:08 AM

I've been taking Seasonique for 9 months now. It's a three month pack where I only get my period once every three months. It's been working absolutely fine until this week. I've started spotting and getting mild and short cramps. Can a period be brought on by stress? Lately i've been extremely stressed out and emotional, could this have triggered it? The pack has 1 1/2 weeks to go still until i'm supposed to get my period. Any ideas why im experiencing the spotting? Could it be stress and if so will it go away soon ( the spotting? )

And should I stop taking my birth control and let my period run its course?

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! / The world forgetting, by the world forgot / Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! / Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

Last edited by KatNap; January 23rd 2012 at 01:14 AM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Bridghid Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Bridghid

Points: 7,674, Level: 12 Points: 7,674, Level: 12 Points: 7,674, Level: 12

Re: Why do I have my period? - January 23rd 2012, 01:45 AM

Stress can have an effect on your period, even if it is controlled through birth control. The body is programmed to have a period once a month, so a little bit of spotting can be normal, even if it is not time for your period yet. http://www.drugs.com/seasonique.html This is a good website to look at. It has some good information about the drug and some possible side effects - change in menstral period and cramping included.

Have you tried to contact your doctor? They may be able to give you a more definative answer about continuing your medication or not based on your medical history.

"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour."
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27

Re: Why do I have my period? - January 23rd 2012, 01:55 PM

Bridghid is correct. It could be normal as periods are always changing. Most of the time, it's normal to have this happen on occasion. I was told when taking Tri-lo-sprintec to continue the pack as normal. However, you may want to call your doctor, or even Planned Parenthood, to ask them over the phone what they suggest.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
KatNap Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kat

Points: 8,954, Level: 13 Points: 8,954, Level: 13 Points: 8,954, Level: 13

Re: Why do I have my period? - January 23rd 2012, 03:21 PM

I realized that about a week ago when the spotting started I took a dose of Durkoral which is a travelers vaccine because i'm going to Panama. Maybe this medication has somewhat cancelled out the birthcontrol or made it less effective? I'll contact my doctor and ask, thanks guys!

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! / The world forgetting, by the world forgot / Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! / Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27

Re: Why do I have my period? - January 23rd 2012, 04:25 PM

Yes, that could cause the bc to be less effective. It's best to ask your doctor before getting or taking any meds or vaccines. That way you can know what to expect

I'm going to go ahead and close this. If it happens again, feel free to make another thread!
Closed Thread