TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Luneartes Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,634, Level: 11 Points: 6,634, Level: 11 Points: 6,634, Level: 11

Unhappy Pregnant or not? - January 13th 2013, 05:25 PM

So I had sex with my boyfriend, we used a condom but I'm not on the pill (although definitely will be after this), the condom didn't break or have a hole but my period is almost a week late I have no other pregnancy symptoms except for sore boobs which I usually get before my period, but it hasn't come yet. I know stress can delay a period and I'm hoping its that because I've been crazy busy and stressed. This month, I've gotten my year 12 results, had to change uni preferences, got a new job - I haven't worked before but I get so many shifts and they're always busy! I've also been dealing with some personal issues, recurring depression. I can't afford to be pregnant, I want a child but not this way. This is really stressing me out
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Pregnant or not? - January 13th 2013, 06:17 PM

It's very possible that all the stress you are under is causing your period to be late--it happens, especially if your period is not regulated by the pill. And that in combination with the fear and stress cause by the fact that you are worried you're pregnant could also be a contributing factor to it being late.
However, that being said there is always a risk of protection not working so there is a chance. If you are worried you should just get a pregnancy test. You can buy them at drug stores for usually $10-20, probably closer to the $12-15. You can also get them much cheaper at the dollar store and they're just as effective. Lots of them come in packets of 2 or 3.
If you are pregnant you can seek out your options. If you don't want a baby right now you can go with adoption or abortion.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Pregnant or not? - January 14th 2013, 11:02 AM

As mentioned, being stressed out over several different things, as you are, can cause your period to be a bit late. You've started a lot of new things such as a new job that keeps you constantly busy, and dealing with uni preferences and other such things.

You used a condom, and from what you've said, it was used right. Typically when a condom is used and it tears or leads to an unexpected pregnancy, it's because it wasn't applied right. But from the sounds of things, everything went according to plan.

You could always take a test to be sure. Always buy in bulk so in case you're not sure of one test, you have another or two to fall back on. Once you find out the truth, you could go from there.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,860, Level: 59 Points: 172,860, Level: 59 Points: 172,860, Level: 59

Re: Pregnant or not? - January 14th 2013, 01:20 PM

Hey there,

I don't think that you are pregnant. It was great that you used protection, because while no form of protection is 100% effective, this greatly reduces your chances. As long as a condom is used properly there is little chance of getting pregnant.

Two weeks after you have had sex you can take a pregnancy test. These can be found at a pharmacy or even some grocery stores. Taking it after two weeks allows the test to build up in the system. It's best to take in the morning after waking up. Follow the directions carefully.

However, you're right that stress can affect your period and cause it to be late, so it's probably the stress. Try to relax.

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread