TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gavriella Yael

Points: 8,652, Level: 13 Points: 8,652, Level: 13 Points: 8,652, Level: 13

Pregnant... - November 18th 2015, 03:04 AM

I am currently pregnant and I recently just got a job. I'm only a few weeks but I don't know quite what to do. I do want to go through with parenting but the problem is that I'm very uneducated. My job only pays minimum wage which is 7.25 an hour and I only work a little less than 30 hours a week. I know I need to get another job but the thing is that I don't know if I'll be able to get one. I'm 17 but I've already graduated and started on college. I plan on going back in January but I don't know for sure yet. I'm kinda clueless on what I can do to support my soon to be child and make enough money.

~ Always look to the brighter side of life just as a sunflower looks to the sun and not the dark clouds! ~
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Pregnant... - November 18th 2015, 04:09 AM

I assume you're in the US.

For starters, start with a budget. Find out where your money is going exactly. Are you spending money on something that you can cut back?

Take a trip to a WIC office and start learning about the program and whether you will qualify. You may also qualify for medicaid if you are not on your parents' insurance.

Start researching options for child care. If you are not with the father currently, you may need to find someone to help coordinate child care such as maybe your parents can help by watching the child once or twice a week (a luxury).

You may need a quicker path to a degree that pays well. What are you currently studying? Do you know how you will make money with that degree? Maybe you could consider going to a program that will let you graduate with a certificate so you can earn more money and possibly better benefits.

In some areas, there are job corps that help out with training young adults. There are some jobs that will pay more than minimum wage but the training through job corps isn't offered in all areas. I have seen centers that offer pharmacy tech, nursing assistant, and I think I have even seen licensed practical (vocational) nurse.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Pregnant... - November 18th 2015, 08:41 PM

Lelola gave some great advice! WIC is a great resource for food, I actually work for a program with Medicaid that helps pregnant mothers, so your state might have similar programs if you qualify. I'd definitely Google and talk to your doctors about all the programs that your area may offer.

What's the father's involvement? Will he be helping you financially? Do you know if your parents will be able to help you as well? Parents can sometimes help with childcare, or may know others who can help! I know when my cousins were having their first children, my grandma was there for them to babysit whenever she could! I don't know your familial structure, but perhaps you can try to find somebody to help!

Have you considered community college or online classes in the longterm? These are great resources to help you finish your degree!

something burning?
Closed Thread