TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
The Daughter of the Pirate King: a review
by TeenHelp May 5th 2019, 01:52 PM

The Daughter of the Pirate King: A review
By Jenna (.:Bibliophile:.)

The Daughter of the Pirate King is the first book in a duology written by Tricia Levenseller. The novel follows Alosa who is the daughter of the pirate king. She is sent on a mission, by her father, to retrieve an ancient map that will lead them to treasure. The novel starts off with Alosa being captured by her enemies so that she can search for the hidden map. During her time in captivity she meets Riden who is the first mate of the crew who captured her.

There were a lot of people who raved about this novel and it
made me want to read it. I wasn't sure it would be my cup of tea but given how so many people loved it I thought it might surprise me. I can say that I didn't hate the novel but I didn't think it was anything spectacular. It was a pretty generic young adult novel. I suppose it seemed pretty formulaic which is one of the things I struggle with in regards to young adult novels. They all have a similar plot and they all wrap up similarly. I don't think there was anything that stuck out to me about this book. I can understand why there were a lot of people that liked it but I need a lot more in a novel to love it.

I listened to this novel on audio and one of the things I struggled with was that it seemed like it might have been written for a younger audience such as 12 or 13. It's possible that it was the way it was narrated. However, I found myself questioning what age of young adult this was written for because there were some things that seemed unrealistic. The main unrealistic thing was that this young girl mans a pirate ship. I suppose with any fiction book you have to suspend disbelief a bit but it seemed like I was being asked to suspend my disbelief a bit more than I could.

I ended up being able to get to the second book in this duology and I actually liked it slightly more than the first book but I still didn't find it to be a spectacular read. I rated both books 3 stars. I didn't hate them but I don't think either will be novels that stick with me long term and they won't be something that I'd recommend.
Views 434 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments