TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aesir645 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: PJ

Points: 7,520, Level: 12 Points: 7,520, Level: 12 Points: 7,520, Level: 12

Never had a girlfriend - January 13th 2013, 02:59 PM

17 years old. Never had a girlfriend or been kissed before. What exactly am I doing wrong? I'm overweight but people tell me I don't look unhealthy. That I look like a football player or bodyguard. And bigger guys and much unhealthier guys than me can get a girlfriend but I can't. I'm not the stereotypical nice guy, to the point of letting people walk all over me but I'm not a douche. Students in my school seem to value material and physical things over mental. This puts me at a significant disadvantage. I'm Nigerian American and in mostly college level classes. The few nice, decent girls in my school are all taken. I don't have Jays or Nike's or "shoe game" as its called because my parents don't want me to have a job during the school year and I rather not use their money on something like shoes and clothes. If I want it, I want to earn the money to get it. And the girls who don't use how expensive someone's clothes to determine if they are dateable automatically assume that I am ghetto because I am black. These are usually the top students(asian and white) As a result, most of them look down on me. Once they get to know me, they start calling me funny, smart and friendly, so I'm automatically friendzoned before I develop any feelings for the girl. What am I doing that makes me so unattractive? Is it my looks or my confidence?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21

Re: Never had a girlfriend - January 13th 2013, 03:06 PM

Don't. Worry.

There's still plenty of time, and someone will come along for you. Perhaps you just need to be pleasant.

Possibly the prejudices that you mention will affect you, but everyone will have things against them - you just have to let the best side of you shine through, and someone will appreciate you for who you are...which coincides with the lovely fact that they'll then be perfect relationship material .

Seriously, don't panic too much, and just enjoy being single for a little longer. Keep doing your best in school too, and in a few years time you'll have girls throwing themselves at you (*disclaimer - I don't guarantee that...but it seems logical * ).

Good luck, and I hope you find "that perfect somebody"!

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lamia Offline
Snake Goddess
Not a n00b

Name: Katherine

Points: 12,630, Level: 16 Points: 12,630, Level: 16 Points: 12,630, Level: 16

Re: Never had a girlfriend - January 15th 2013, 08:56 PM

As someone who is also 17 and has never been kissed or had a girlfriend, I would say you're doing nothing wrong! If people value material things in your school over mental or whatever, they're probably not really worth going out with in the first place!

It used to be that I stressed about not having a girlfriend, and not having many friends, and all that. Then I realized that school is basically a bullshit popularity contest, and it's not in any way indicative of the life I'll have. So what you've never been kissed or gone out with anyone? I bet you're an awesome dude, people just don't take the time to get to know you.

Hang in there, things may get better when you get to college (I wouldn't know, I'm still in High School like you, but from what I hear, College can be pretty awesome.)

About the friendzone thing. It's perfectly fine to be in the friendzone. Are you sexually or romantically attracted to every girl your friends with? Probably not. So why should they be to you? "Just friends" is nothing to laugh at. As someone who doesn't have a whole lot of female friends (Used to have a bunch, but come High School, most of my friends and I drifted apart), I'll tell you I really miss it, and would love to be "friendzoned." I know it may sound cliche, but value those friendships. They're important.

In all, I'm sure things will work out fine for you, and you sound like a pretty cool guy. Just see high school social standing for what it is, pointless drama. Just keep smiling, laugh every day, and value your friends, and you'll do just fine.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Never had a girlfriend - January 15th 2013, 11:37 PM

Hey there,

I'm sixteen and a girl, but I know that I have never been in a relationship and never have been kissed either. However, from what I have read about you you don't seem to be a bad guy at all. You seem to be nice and caring, and I don't think you fit the stereotypes at all. It's okay if you don't have all of the fancy new items out there. Don't change for anyone else. Be yourself!

The thing about all of those material items is why would you want a girl who cares so much about them anyway? If she loves you just for what objects you may have, then does she really love you for you? I know it may be tough to see now, but there will be a girl out there who will like you for your personality, not just your checkbook. Dating isn't about who has the most money or the coolest items. It's about being there for your partner and loving them, and them doing the same for you.

So, focus on school, friends, and having fun for now. There's no rush to get a girlfriend, really. Even if it doesn't happen right now, it will happen for you, maybe even when you least expect it!

Hang in there!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread