TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fighting-to-Win Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,344, Level: 11 Points: 6,344, Level: 11 Points: 6,344, Level: 11

Unhappy First telling my boyfriend I self haram - December 12th 2013, 02:53 AM

I have only been self harming for about 2 months now, but the urges get worse and worse. I know I can't diagnose myself, but I have been convinced for even longer now that I might have bipolar disorder. Here's the tricky part...I have only told 2 of my closest friends. They are supportive and whatever, but they don't really know how to help, which I don't blame them for. Right now I have no motivation to tell my parents, but I think I really need to tell my boyfriend. We've been dating for 5 months now, we are both in 10th grade, and he means the world to me. But only when I'm around him are my arms not covered by sleeves and I'm careful to always have bandages over my cuts and scares when I'm with him, but I think he's getting suspicious, especially when he grabbed my wrist the other day and I screamed out in pain. He asked me once what was going on, but I didn't have the courage to tell him. He respected that and hasn't brought it up since. How do I tell him what's going on? I feel like he really deserves an explanation. And who knows? Maybe he'll be able to help me.

Last edited by Ennui.; December 12th 2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Removing triggering prefix.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: First telling my boyfriend I self haram - December 12th 2013, 03:00 AM

Hi there,

I think that it would be worth it to be honest with him. I think that maybe you should sit down with him one day when he is in at least a decent mood. You can tell him things such as you have been self harming for two months, and now the urges are starting to get very bad. You can let him know you just weren't ready to tell him before but now feel like you really do need to tell someone about this and get support for it. If there is anything else you think he should know, tell it to him then as well. It may help if you plan out what you are going to say before you say it so you know what'll happen before you go in.

Another option you have is writing it to him in the form of a letter. Again get out some of the points that I mentioned above or anything else you think is important, and then deliver it to him. This will allow you to get everything out without nerves and interruptions getting in the way.

Maybe he can also help you tell your parents or get alternate forms of support.

But, realizing that you need the help is the first step toward recovery!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread