TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20

Casual Dating -- is it okay? - January 29th 2015, 03:55 AM

Hey guys,

So I was just wondering what your thoughts were on casual dating.

You know, dating someone you don't necessarily have strong feelings for??

Do you think it could eventually grow into attraction and you could develop stronger feelings? Or do you think it's just a waste of time, effort, and too risky to hurt the other person's feelings?

Would it be better to wait and get closer to the person, to see if you develop feelings as friends... or, if they ask you out, would it be best just to say yes and see where it takes you?

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Casual Dating -- is it okay? - January 29th 2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore~ View Post
Hey guys,

So I was just wondering what your thoughts were on casual dating.

You know, dating someone you don't necessarily have strong feelings for??

Do you think it could eventually grow into attraction and you could develop stronger feelings? Or do you think it's just a waste of time, effort, and too risky to hurt the other person's feelings?

Would it be better to wait and get closer to the person, to see if you develop feelings as friends... or, if they ask you out, would it be best just to say yes and see where it takes you?
As a concept, I think casual dating is great. However, in practice it's not for everyone.

I personally casually date. I enjoy dating without necessarily entering into the relationship with a "capital 'R,'" as I call it. I can enjoy the companionship and physical intimacy, but I don't have to be completely head over heels for the person to enjoy these things with them. For me casual dating relationships tend to be nice, easy relationships that are free of the bigger highs and lows that can occur when you're in a committed romantic relationship with someone.

I think that the validity of casual dating being a good idea in someone's life depends on why they want to casually date. Are they casually dating hoping to eventually find emotional attachment of a stronger degree, or are they just seeing what's out there? Are they open to "more," or do they want to keep things casual? The first and foremost thing is to know which of these two camps one falls into and to be CLEAR about which camp you are in with the people you begin casually seeing.

Casual dating quickly can go from being fun to being a nightmare if one person develops stronger feelings and wants a relationship and the other does not. For this reason it's important to communicate your intentions. If they don't want things to go anywhere beyond casual and you "think" you could do that, but in reality you could see yourself developing strong feelings, then it's probably not a good idea to casually date that person.

I think how you want to handle it depends on you. There's benefits towards both waiting to see if things develop as "friends" and to going ahead and saying yes if someone asks you out. As friends, you get a stronger basis of stability, a foundation to already start off with. If you just say yes when they ask you out, you get more of an exciting rush, and you get to kind of see where things go. Neither way is better than the other, and it just depends on the people involved.

So, if you're going to casually date, know what you want and communicate that to the other person. Make sure what they want is compatible with what you want before proceeding.

It should be noted that some people just don't do casual well. They may think they can, but they learn from experience that they can't. That's okay. Just know going into it that it may be an experiment for you and it may not go as planned.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
anonymouswhale Offline
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15

Re: Casual Dating -- is it okay? - January 29th 2015, 11:50 PM

Jordan really nailed this one. I agree completely.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Points: 8,056, Level: 13 Points: 8,056, Level: 13 Points: 8,056, Level: 13

Re: Casual Dating -- is it okay? - January 30th 2015, 12:07 AM

I agree with Jordan too about casual dating and I think it's perfectly fine if that's what people want to do.
I don't personally casually date, because it's just not for me. I enjoy having a friendship first and if I'm going to date someone, I personally want to put a lot of energy and feelings into them. I want intimacy on a personal and deep level, not just sexually. I want to date someone who's like a best friend and a romantic partner all at once. Basically I want to be Super Close to anyone I date and put my whole heart into it, but that's just how I feel about me. I don't think it's bad to want to casual date, I just don't like it for me.

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Casual Dating -- is it okay? - January 30th 2015, 01:06 AM

I'd say friends first is always the better route, but honestly, what would I know, I've never been on a date of any kind. :P
I always feel it necessary to mention for some reason that I'm a solid 8 out of 10 in terms of looks. Im just socially awkward around girls.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread