TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Loneliness If you're feeling lonely, isolated or down and need support and encouragement, this is a forum for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Feeling lonely again - July 21st 2012, 09:47 PM

I'm not totally sure what I'm asking. I feel lonely again. I'm tired of this feeling coming back regardless of my efforts to make myself feel less so. People are slipping away from me. I try to do things with people, but cancellations happen too often and I expect them now. I try to speak to family and make it all okay, but there's so much segregation and disagreement that its just not realistic. I'm second best to so many people.

I don't know what more I can do. I don't even know if I'm asking anything because I've screamed out about being lonely so much and people just tell me I'm not alone. But I know that. I have people. But being alone and feeling alone are two different things, and I don't know how to feel like I'm not any more.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to waste your time with pointless threads.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27

Re: Feeling lonely again - July 21st 2012, 09:57 PM

Hey lovely, it isn't pointless. I can understand what you are trying to say. I've made a few threads like this before as well.

I don't have a sure way to make you not FEEL alone. But things I have tried that work sometimes and fail other times:

Going to the library or book shop where everyone is supposed to be quiet, but you aren't alone. It helps me feel like I'm a part of something, and since everyone is supposed to be quiet, it just feels better than being in a mall where everyone has someone with them and are talking and giggling. Grab a book to read, take your time to look at things, etc.

Going to a movie or renting a movie with a family member you don't usually get along with while speaking.

Reading a book that interests you. It helps me to escape a bit and relax.

Play with a pet (if you have one of course).

Talk on Skype or the phone with someone you enjoy speaking with.

See if anyone would want to do something that's not all that common (indoor rock climbing, a fair or festival, ice skating, etc.). Sometimes I have found doing something other than just hanging out at the mall can intrigue people to want to hang out more. A lot of times, people just feel like they are in a rut doing the same thing over and over.

These are just some ideas. Also joining a club (sometimes libraries will have some) or school clubs or sports can also help. This way you are a part of something and doing something productive or active.

Also, here if you want to PM or chat. <3
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Feeling lonely again - July 22nd 2012, 01:57 PM

Hai Hollie

You aren't wasting anyone's time beautiful. Don't ever think that. You're here for others, and you deserve to feel like there's people there for you- because there is. I know how daunting and how scary it can be sending the first PM to someone, or making a thread asking for help. It's so much easier to curl up and shut everyone away, but that doesn't help, and that's a lesson I learned the hard way.

I know the feeling of feeling alone but feeling like you can't reach out. Used the word feeling 3 times in that sentence for a reason- you aren't actually alone. Your head, and destructive thoughts, and whatever you're fighting wants to keep you alone, because that means your miserable. By reaching out, you're defying those thoughts.

I love Kelly's idea about the library or coffee shop. I personally hate being alone, but at the same time I hate having to talk to people when I'm really not in the mood. Being somewhere where there's people but you don't have to talk or do anything is incredibly soothing, and I love it. It's worth a shot, Hollie bean

Again, yeah, I didn't have much to say, but I wanted to say something to you because I admire and respect you and I think you're amazing. Obligatory #justsaying. Keep your chin up, brave strong girl. You're a fighter, so go get 'em <3

Take as long as you need.
Closed Thread