TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cuttergirl17 Offline
Average Joe

Name: No one

Sadness - September 3rd 2012, 07:41 PM

I was doing better, in fact I was even happy...but I think that was just cause my bf who rlly cared n made me smile n laugh... Well were over now (my fault) and I'm sad again, it's not even just sadness about the break up, all my thoughts about why I should countinue living r back again... Like anyone wanna tell me why I should keep suffering? I hated my first 17 years of life, and all life is, is school, more school, than u get to work , n than retire n sit around and wait to die... The only thing special about life is a) if u have a dream and it comes true...but that doesn't happen everyday b) if u find someone to share ur life with, someone who makes u happy n worth it all ...so if neither of those two things happen...what's the point? Someone show me the light again please, I want to be happy again.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Sadness - September 3rd 2012, 08:56 PM

Hey there,

I'm really sorry that things seem to have taken a turn for the worst again, but the fact you felt happy before is incredible and I'm glad you managed to experience that, even if it was just for a little while. It's sad to hear that you and your boyfriend split up, especially when he has caused you to be so happy generally while you were together, but I want to remind you that just because you and him are over, it doesn't mean your life is. I'm no expert on relationships and breakups, having never experienced either before, but I know for certain that a relationship isn't the highlight of a persons life. Sure, they're great, but sometimes they do end, and that causes heartbreak, but it's not a reason for you to feel bad again. You're within your rights to be upset by it, but right now it might be a good idea for you to focus on the relationships you DO have. Try to arrange some time to go out and have fun with friends or family, perhaps go to the park for the day, or have a day around their house or yours. Surround yourself with other people who make you feel a similar feeling to how he did and enjoy it. Most of all, remember that even though you and him are over, you can live a happy life. The sad thoughts are there, but they don't have to be the only ones. Try taking a look at this thread and using it as a stimulus for your own list of reasons to live. I know it's sometimes hard to push the negative feelings to one side and focus on what's beautiful and right in front of you, but if you try, you might find it helps you change your perspectives a little bit.

Understandably you're looking at the future in a bad way, but what you have described is not what life consists of entirely. There is so much more to living a happy life, otherwise, people would get bored of it quicker! In between the work, school and retirement, there is the times and memories you share and create with your loved ones. There's you, making an impact on their lives and the world, no matter how small and insignificant it may seem. As well as this, there's the fact that you can do the things you love. Sure, dreams don't come true every day, but that's no reason not to have one to aim for. You can be successful and happy, and that's a reason to carry on.

Both of the things you mentioned can happen. I've already mentioned the first, but as for the latter, if people never found someone to love and spend their life with, all of those elderly couples out there celebrating their decades of marriage or time together wouldn't exist. If they didn't exist, chances are, you wouldn't exist, and I wouldn't exist. Not everyone finds someone like this to spend their life with, that's true, and that's why you shouldn't make that one of the only ways you think you'll be happy. You're young and you have plenty of time to look for the person you want to settle down with, so don't let the fact that you haven't yet done this get in the way of you being happy.

You have a right to life, and with this right, comes the right to enjoy it and be happy. Unfortunately not everyone gets this to start of with, but it doesn't mean that forever will be the same as it is right now. What's the point? The point is that if you fight this, and yes, that will be hard and take a lot of time and effort, you can beat it and you can find reasons to be alive a lot more easily later on. There's a whole world of potential out there that you haven't seen yet, and you are entitled to go and explore it. Don't give up just because you have only two things you base your happiness around, because I promise you there are many others you have yet to discover.

I hope this has helped, and if you ever need to talk you're more than welcome to shoot me a PM at any time.
Take care, and don't give up! You can do this.
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread