TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
monkey01 Offline
trying to be strong
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Chantelle

Exclamation How - September 20th 2012, 01:01 AM

I am meeting with my guidance counsellor tomorrow after school september 20 how can i tell her im feeling depressed without worrying her

There is always someone who cares about you. It may not seem like it but there is. I can promise you that much.
  Send a message via MSN to monkey01  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: How - September 20th 2012, 01:11 AM

Hey there,

It is great that you want to talk to your guidance counselor about what is going on! I think that the best thing that you can do is just be honest about it. Don't make anything seem less bad than what it really is, but instead be honest about it and say that you would like some help for it. She definitely will be proud of you for getting the courage up to ask for help. One thing you can do is say that you have been feeling depressed lately and describe the severity and what has been going on, and then ask her to please help. That way, she knows exactly what is going on and is able to help you out to the best of her ability. It is important to just be honest about it because she will appreciate the fact that you are telling her what needs to be said, and she will be able to give you as much help as she can.

Another thing you can do is just write it all down in a letter that you hand to her. I found this easier than speaking it because nerves and interruptions didn't get in my way. Again describe what you have been going through, the severity, and what is going on. Then hand her the letter and I'm sure you can sit or stand and wait for her to read it and then discuss.

Know that even though it may be scary to tell someone what is going on, your guidance counselor has been trained to help students with more things that just school and she definitely will be there to help you out. She cares about you a lot and wants to make sure that you are safe and happy, and going to her will be a great first step in getting the help that you truly deserve. Then the two of you can talk about it and find ways to cope with the depression and anything else that is going on. Counselors are good, unbiased listeners, after all!

I wish you the best and hope all goes well!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: How - September 20th 2012, 01:51 AM

Hi there

Well done on reaching out for help. I know that it's scary and nerve wracking but I'm proud of you. Honestly, I don't think the main thing to focus on is whether or not you'll worry her. You just have to be completely honest and make sure she understands how you're truly feeling. She'll respect you more for reaching out than masking your true feelings in order to 'protect her'. Her job is to counsel and help people go in the right direction. If she feels as though you need more help than she can give, she'll most likely refer you to other services.

Good luck and take care.

Closed Thread