TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spikey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Exclamation Is it worth telling them? - September 21st 2012, 01:44 PM

I'm studying childcare and there's 7 people (including me) in my class.

I'm considering telling the other people in my class about my battles with SH and suicide. But would it be worth it?

One of the girl's is quite... dense. She often has to have things explained to her several times before she understands things and she can be quite brutal with her comments sometimes, but without meaning too.

I kind of want them to know - I'm known as the 'girl who is always ahead of the work' - and I want to be honest with them, but this is the last year.

I want them to know, but I don't at the same time. I'm worried that I'd fall back into the pattern of it if I start talking about it again.

And how am I supposed to bring this up if I do decide to tell them?

I don't hang out with them after school or anything, it's not really like they're my best friends.

I want them to know because I want them to understand more about me and the way my mind thinks.

I don't know whether to say or not.

Thanks,
RosieJ

And she turns up the music, to drown out her life.

22/12/2014 was the last date I self-harmed. The longest I have gone so far is 1 year, 2 months and 5 days. This time, I hope I can give up! New record: 1 year 6 months! Yay!!
Previously:
Kibska

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Re: Is it worth telling them? - September 22nd 2012, 11:58 AM

Hey, what's happening Rosie .

Alright, so it is very obvious that this a very serious decision and for that reason alone, I am glad you are reconsidering telling these people in your class about your battles.

If you ARE going to tell SOMEONE about your battles, it has to be someone who you can trust, soemone who will support you and someone who CAN provide some degree of support, it can't be a stanger, because they can't be trusted with that sort of information.

It's very personal information and if someone is going to get that from you and then reply with "dense" comments, well that could well hurt pretty bad because you need support. That's the BIG reason people tell because they want support....

The final decision ultimately rests with you but I personally don't think it's worth telling them about your struggles. When I say the decision rests with you, I mean it REALLY does because I have no idea how much you trust these people and maybe they could support you I don't know but these are just recommendations.....

I can empathise and make suggestions but the decision rests with you, it truly does. I'm just saying that it is something very serious to share and it needs to be someone who you REALLY trust.

A TRUSTED ADULT is the golden phrase....

Good luck, Rosie....

H.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Is it worth telling them? - September 22nd 2012, 02:07 PM

I agree with Hamed.

It's great that you want to tell someone about the S.H. and the suicide thoughts etc. But you need to make sure you tell someone who you can trust, this could be anyone such as a your tutor at college , a counsellor at your college to a friend or a family member that you trust.

If you want to let people in your class know what it's like, maybe you could ask your tutor to do a session on self harm and suicide, and that your tutor ties it in with the abuse unit of the childcare course ? That way the class will still know what it's like etc but you won't actually have to tell them yourself if you don't trust the others in your class that much.

Childcare is a great course to do. I did childcare too.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread