TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

No escape from the sadness? - September 23rd 2012, 01:58 PM

Ive been relatively "depression-free" lately, with a few exceptions but Ive found that no matter how happy I am, I always have a sad feeling. Usually its just... a quiet, in the back of my head type of thing but sometimes I really feel it affecting me and my actions and Im not really sure what to do... Any help would be appreciated

PM me if you need anything Except ice cream. I never share my ice cream

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: No escape from the sadness? - September 23rd 2012, 03:26 PM

Hey there,

I'm happy you're doing better lately, but I know that even the 'in theback of your head' type of negativity is hard to ignore sometimes. It's great that you've actually recognised it's here and effecting you, this gives you somewhere to start from at least. Perhaps it's a matter of something you haven't quite realised was bothering you before, but now that the more obvious bad feelings have died down a bit, these are a bit more prominent. Maybe when you realise these feelings are there, you can do something to try and sort out what it is that's causing them, for example, try writing something or drawing something to try and sort through your thoughts.

On the other hand, you could try and do thins to distract yourself from them. Instead of focusing on them and bringing them forward in your mind, try doing things to minimise them and forget about them. It might be that focusing on positive things during the day can help make the negative things seem like less of an issue and ultimately help you overcome them. So, for example, you could go and do something you enjoy, perhaps play some games, go for a walk or do some art. Maybe you could make a list or a box of things that make you smile. I find that taking a bit out of the day to find even one thing that makes it worth it can seriously help change your overall mood.

If these are unsuccessful, it might be a good idea to consider telling someone about it. Personally, I've found that other people can sort through my thoughts a lot better than I can! I think that might be down to the fact that when you try and sort through you're own, you try to fit it into your situation right now, or manipulate your feelings to fit what you want them to be. Perhaps if you told a counsellor or a friend about this, they would be able to talk it through with you and find out why the negativity is there, and help you find ways to improve how you feel. If you're looking for actual help in finding out why they're there and how to get rid of them, I'd definitely suggest talking to a counsellor, they're more likely to know what they're doing, and you deserve a professional opinion if this is causing you problems.

I hope this has helped a bit, and if you ever need to talk, feel free to shoot me a PM any time.
Take care,
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread