TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Coping with depression. - October 15th 2012, 04:01 PM

Hi there.

I was wondering. When you are waiting to see a counsellor and you are already on medication, what else can you actually do to help depression/get on with life? It's still affecting a lot of areas of my life and I don't know what to do about it. Everyone says 'keep busy, stay distracted'. But I have no energy and the medication is making me feel ill so I don't want to go out.

Thank you

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Coping with depression. - October 15th 2012, 04:53 PM

Hey there,

Keeping busy is something I would recommend you do myself if I'm honest, but that doesn't always mean going out for hours at a time. Try doing things around the house, maybe some work you've been putting off or play some games. Invite some friends over or arrange that you and your friends do something else. Maybe you could watch a movie that you love and always manages to bring your spirits up, or listen to some cheery music, that kind of thing. Try going out sometimes though, even if it's just for a walk. Exercise is supposed to be good for your mood, or so I've heard, so maybe go for a walk round the block or a jog or something. Even if it's just for 10 minutes or so, try and get some fresh air and exercise to you aren't smothering yourself with being inside all day every day.

Also, maybe tell people around you what;s going on. It might help for them to understand that even though you're awaiting therapy, things aren't totally okay. They can help you out, possibly by helping you have fun and keep busy and entertained. Explain why it isn't always as easy as just keeping distracted ,but don't give up just because of that.

I hope this has helped a bit. Good luck, and I hope you're okay.
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Coping with depression. - October 15th 2012, 04:57 PM

Hey. <3

Honestly? Sometimes you have to to get on with it besides feeling like you have no energy and pains from medication. I've been really on on meds before and sometimes I couldn't get out of bed bet if you can get out of bed, you have to force yourself to do things. It might be very nice phsyically but it might help.

Distractions don't all take too much effort either. I mean, try reading, writing, doing art, watching films with friends, go for a coffee with a friend, ring a friend and so on. I guess you either have the choice of not trying and letting the feelings overwhelm you, or you have the choice to force yourself up and do little things to try and distract yourself. You could even just do a bit of house work or some work you need to get done for Uni.

Are you still going to lectures Anna? If not I really think going might do you some good too. Again, it might be hard but waiting for counselling can take weeks or months. You can't take months out of your life doing nothing because you have no energy you know?

And talk to people. Ring helplines and so on because you're not alone. Sit with you flatmates and have a laugh. Sometimes we don't feel like being around people so we isolate ourselves but its not helping, it can make us feel a lot worse.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Steph

Re: Coping with depression. - October 15th 2012, 05:17 PM

All the things said above can be good I found different things at different times - for a while I would make clay models, and then I got into jigsaws, and then paint by numbers... things to distract me from myself were pretty helpful. They say exercise can be good too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Coping with depression. - October 15th 2012, 09:01 PM

Thank you guys.

I've been going to the lectures I have been able too and I'm trying to keep up with the work. <3

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

Closed Thread