TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alex95 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Depression - October 29th 2012, 11:38 AM

It seems to me that there are two types of depression, one that is caused by something; like a family loss, abuse etc. and the type that comes from nothing. But isn't depression just depression? I don't understand this. I tend to get very sad from nothing, I can look around at life and just be sad about it, nothing will trigger me to feel sad, I will just be working, eating, playing, whatever - and I'll feel sad. This happens to me daily, but I never feel happy really, it's either nothing or sad. I've always thought this is selfish, people live with depression because something has caused it - which is fair, they're allowed to have a problem if something horrible has happened to them. But what excuse do I have? Nothing wrong has happened to me, sure I'm a bit funny looking and am sometimes not a brilliant friend. But nothing's wrong with me; that's why I can be 'nothing' somethings.

I don't know, sometimes when I feel sad I think that I'm being stupid, stealing sadness from someone who deserves it. If someone could explain/talk to me about this I'd be deeply grateful. Thank you for reading,

Alex.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: Depression - October 29th 2012, 11:52 AM

Hey there Alex.
I know exactly what you mean. But being sad doesn't mean your selfish. It's just an emotion..& a very normal one at that.
Sometimes what triggers are emotions is very hard to detect, but it is there. Emotions are like little red flags, telling us that something is wrong or right. When your happy, something is obviously going well, but say when we're mad or depressed, something is wrong & needs to be changed.
Maybe when your sad..take some time to try & think about why. Maybe your lonely, irritated about something, or your just sad because you just didn't have the best of day.

I know it's hard, but I encourage you to try & figure out why. It can be very frustrating, I know.
Hang in there, & stay strong.
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Depression - October 29th 2012, 12:31 PM

You're right. Some people can go through traumatic events which can me them very low for long periods of time which is depression. And everyone has bad days too. Where maybe work didn't go great or school was stressful and that can make people low too - however, that is part of everyday life. Depression is an on-going illness. However, you don't have to have gone through a traumatic event to struggle with a depression. A person can have a chemical imbalance in the brain. For example, serotonin is a chemical in our brains which basically makes us feel happy. A person can have a lack of this chemical which causes depression. Anti-depressants can be prescribed to increase the amount of serotonin in our brains to make us feel better and happier. Therefore, traumatic events are definitely not the only thing that can cause depression. And often, a combination of medication and therapy can be very beneficial to a person who is struggling with depression.

I am sorry to hear you're going through a rough time right now. I can understand that feeling the way you are feeling now, must be very hard for you. But I do hope what I said about chemical imbalances in the brain, helps in some way to make you feel less guilty about feeling depressed. You have no reason to feel guilty. You're not wanting to this way, nor are you making yourself feel this way.

I want you to know that you're not alone. We're always here for you if you want to talk to us. We're here to listen - not to judge. And it might be helpful for you to talk to someone back at home too. A parent maybe? Or someone else such as a teacher, school nurse or even your doctor. All these people can help and support you through this to help you start to feel better. They care and sometimes just having someone to turn to and talk to get be really helpful. You're not on your own in this.

Keep smiling and believe in yourself. It's not going to last forever and you can feel better but don't suffer alone.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Last edited by Palmolive; October 29th 2012 at 02:43 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Alex95 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Re: Depression - October 29th 2012, 02:39 PM

Thank you both for such nice replies :') They made me feel a little bit better, thank you for explaining things so nicely. The problem is I can never tell whether I might actually have something wrong with me, or I'm just being a typical teenager and feeling down all the time. The fact that I used to self-harm is some indication of the severity, but I guess the only way to find out these things is to talk someone. I have found that I have a huge amount of guilt in my life, that is mostly unexplained. I feel guilty around my friends, as if I've done something wrong to them, but don't know what. Sometimes I just feel guilty for being here.

Closed Thread